Solar Power and other forms of Alternative energy

Information on electric installation and anything related to electric.
Design, materials, sources & prices, for separate topics on:
- Wiring diagrams, regulations and standards
- materials, installation, connection.
- sources & prices
- hazards and trouble shooting
Before you post any questions, download Itchy's tutorials and search for an answer there.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope, Attila

Re: Solar Power and other forms of Alternative energy

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:37 pm

Shastadad wrote:Typical for the new military masters:

A little bit stupid too as the law was passed by the previously elected government. The problem lies with the four fiefdoms (EGAT, PEA etc) making all the rules and regulations that go along with the law that is just a proposal of an old law that failed because of the rulers of the fiefdoms have been told/paid to make it fail.
I notice the NRC, the appointed toadies of the junta, have also gone back over all the old ground all over again to justify their position on matters that have no bearing on the moving forwards of Thailand....except to recommmend they all get medals, an increase in salary, at least an increase in the number of sub committees they hold paid positions on, paid pensions at the end of their "tenure" of working for the "people" and of course an increase in the number of "advisors" they can have or appoint..... even if they are unqualified relatives.
I also noticed the NRC bore in mind that "normal people" couldn't afford the 120-150,000 Baht to have the solar panels installed and made many excuses for the "normal people" in their proposal. I wonder where they managed to come up with those figures from and who supplied those figures? Is that for a standard Thai household, or for the much, much more expensive "farang" household.
I wished they'd discussed and proposed a new law on street lighting and who pays for it as tomorrow I have to have EGAT technicians wire the street lighting into my meter before they'll turn it on.
Andyfteeze wrote:Its gotta happen. Not even greedy officials can keep this at bay forever. Sooner or later the head has to come out of the sand.

Andy,
Before that happens they'll be yet another coup that will put Thailand on the back burner for another 5-10 years, but the whispered new coup has been averted this time by letting the army have all new helicopters, the navy have submarines and the air force have a lot of old secondhand used by date aircraft. Only for 600 trillion Baht too. And people wonder why the current junta (generals) are the richest people in Thailand. All totally referenced at http://www.khaosodenglish.com/index.php an English version of the daily Thai newspaper Khaosod.
I often wonder when the NRC and junta talk about corruption and arrest "corrupt people" why they don't throw themselves all in gaol.
arranp wrote:wait and see, proof is in the pudding!

It is apparent you didn't read the article that you posted.
Roger Ramjet

Postby arranp » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:16 pm

schuimpge wrote:
arranp wrote:anyone got any comments on the effectiveness of a solar chimney ?

I have one.. Works wonders on the house.. I have two houses, both same.. 1 with and one without. The one without is warm and hot end of the day.. The newly renovated is always cooler and more fresh..
Search my thread on info... Went with it after seeing loads of them in Vietnam. Never regretted it..

Are they any use when the doors and windows open ? I like the idea of the solar chimney, especially on windless days.

Also I like leave my doors and windows open and wonder if the solar chimney would still be of use ? I'm designing my home so windows are on both sides in some rooms to create cross ventilation.
arranp

Postby schuimpge » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:53 am

arranp wrote:
schuimpge wrote:
arranp wrote:anyone got any comments on the effectiveness of a solar chimney ?

I have one.. Works wonders on the house.. I have two houses, both same.. 1 with and one without. The one without is warm and hot end of the day.. The newly renovated is always cooler and more fresh..
Search my thread on info... Went with it after seeing loads of them in Vietnam. Never regretted it..

Are they any use when the doors and windows open ? I like the idea of the solar chimney, especially on windless days.

Also I like leave my doors and windows open and wonder if the solar chimney would still be of use ? I'm designing my home so windows are on both sides in some rooms to create cross ventilation.

Well, even with doors and windows closed, there's always air coming in through gaps between the windows and frames, etc.
I do feel that it's especially effective at night, when outside is cool, so inside hot air has an escape, pulling in the cool outside air from below.
This is very well noticeable in the morning, when my house without chimney is still warm, even with two air-con running at night while my brother currently lives alone there with only one air-con running. His house is very cool in the morning and stays like that through the day.
Will be posting the results on how it worked out after I've installed the chimney, new bathroom and solar water heater and pump in my house. Then we're on 'equal footing' with my brother's house again.

One more item ready to install is a temperature controlled fan. Will be in the lowest part of the house, switching on when temperature is below a set temperature and blowing cool air into the house, helping speed up the process of cooling the air.

Pictures of my solar tower you can find in my threads..the idea comes from my traveling to Vietnam where you'll find them everywhere...

Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby arranp » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:06 am

thank you, yes i've read your thread. Nice to see someone pioneering, using clean energy.

so your fan in the lowest part of the house will be pushing air upwards
arranp

Postby schuimpge » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:07 am

Having a pool could potentially be a perfect storage of energy for your house. Using solar to cool your pool water and then connect that to a floor cooling system, you hardly have a need for aircon.. Use the pool pump to filter the water, then before it goes back into the pool, it makes a bypass through the house to cool it and then goes back into the pool.
Making the system reversible, as in: switching it to pool heating in cold months (for North and North East Provinces), you have the same benefits of not using heating systems for the house.
Night time when it's cooler, you switch off the bypass and use passive cooling. You can also use that time to cool your pool further (for example by spraying the water into the cool night air (fountain or less noisy means)..

Wonder if anyone explored that possibility here in Thailand
schuimpge

Postby schuimpge » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:14 am

arranp wrote:thank you, yes i've read your thread. Nice to see someone pioneering, using clean energy.

so your fan in the lowest part of the house will be pushing air upwards

The fan would be like an Extractor Fan.. It will be built into an outside wall with the thermometer sensor on the outside.
Once the temperature outside gets to for example 26'C, it would switch on the fan and then push cool air into the house...

Sure it's arguable if it is necessary if you already have the solar chimney (which works at night as well, the 'solar' is a bit misleading), but I'm always in for some good old 'if I don't try it myself, I won't know if it works'...
My believe here is that the fan would help speed the cooling process so the aircon would run less..
schuimpge

Postby arranp » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:35 am

seems a good idea.

I was contemplating an open air tube system, with air tubes weighted to the bottom of a concrete rain water harvesting tank. there are issues to be resolved as to avoid or clear moisture snd condensation build up within the tube.

what can be used to cool the pool water by solar?
arranp

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:43 pm

arranp wrote:seems a good idea.

I was contemplating an open air tube system, with air tubes weighted to the bottom of a concrete rain water harvesting tank. there are issues to be resolved as to avoid or clear moisture snd condensation build up within the tube.

what can be used to cool the pool water by solar?

You're going to have fun trying to get, and keep, the air tubes underwater, specially if you use large diameter ones. You'd better embed them in the concrete. Otherwise you're going to need some very big lumps of concrete to keep them down.

I've forgotten the physics formulas involved but good info is under.
http://www.theanswerbank.co.uk/Science/ ... 25799.html
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:11 pm

FWIW 100 meters of 32mm LDPE pipe will need more than 100kg of weight evenly distributed to keep it underwater.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby arranp » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:16 am

Roof Top Solar Project available again!

I was called just a few minutes ago from the boss of the metering division Phuket Thalang PEA, asking if I was still interested to sell my solar electric to PEA, that I now could.

Contact your PEA if you want to sell electric to you PEA.

webpage https://www.pea.co.th/vspp/Pages/Solar%20Rooftop.aspx
document https://www.pea.co.th/vspp/Documents/Rooftop/Rooftop2558.pdf

no BS response please, instead CONTACT YOUR PEA !!
arranp

Postby BKKBILL » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:43 pm

Utilities strive to fetter solar industry’s growth

Three years ago, the nation’s top utility executives gathered at a Colorado resort to hear
warnings about a grave new threat to operators of America’s electric grid: not superstorms
or cyberattacks, but rooftop solar panels.

If demand for residential solar continued to soar, traditional utilities could soon face
serious problems, from “declining retail sales” and a “loss of customers” to “potential
obsolescence,” according to a presentation prepared for the group. “Industry must prepare
an action plan to address the challenges,” it said.

The warning, delivered to a private meeting of the utility industry’s main trade
association, became a call to arms for electricity providers in nearly every corner of the
nation. Three years later, the industry and its fossil-fuel supporters are waging a
determined campaign to stop a home-solar insurgency that is rattling the boardrooms of
the country’s government-regulated electric monopolies.

The campaign’s first phase—an industry push for state laws raising prices for solar
customers—failed spectacularly in legislatures around the country, due in part to surprisingly strong support for solar energy from conservatives and evangelicals in traditionally “red states.” But more recently, the battle has shifted to public utility
commissions, where industry backers have mounted a more successful push for fee hikes
that could put solar panels out of reach for many potential customers.

In a closely watched case last month, an Arizona utility voted to impose a monthly
surcharge of about $50 for “net metering,” a common practice that allows solar customers
to earn credit for the surplus electricity they provide to the electric grid. Net metering
makes home solar affordable by sharply lowering electric bills to offset the $10,000 to
$30,000 cost of rooftop panels.

The rest at

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/ ... story.html
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby inthaiguy » Tue May 10, 2016 1:13 pm

These guys have just opened a solar and hydrogen fuel cell powered17 Rai compound in Chiang Mai. http://www.cnxconstruction.com/index.html#01
inthaiguy

Previous

Return to electric