Stranded Cables for house wiring

Information on electric installation and anything related to electric.
Design, materials, sources & prices, for separate topics on:
- Wiring diagrams, regulations and standards
- materials, installation, connection.
- sources & prices
- hazards and trouble shooting
Before you post any questions, download Itchy's tutorials and search for an answer there.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope, Attila

Stranded Cables for house wiring

Postby rigpig.sparky » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:03 pm

Hi Everyone, and thanks in advance for any input.

I have been trying to purchase stranded cables in Phuket now for 2 weeks with no luck. Now that doesn't mean I have limited my search to Phuket, I have been onto a few manufacturers too.

I am looking for 1.5mm2, 2.5mm2 and 4.0mm2 stranded conduit cables for household installation, I will also be looking for the same sizes but a double insulated (preferably flat type, but not absolutely necessary) stranded twin and earth cable, at a later date.

I have had absolutely no luck with the exception of being told 20 days for production.

ALLof the cables I have been offered up to 6mm2 have been a single solid conductor.

I am sure I have bought it here before, but a long time a go and probably in some small hardware at the side of the road.

I am prepared to pay shipping costs to Phuket, and can easily do a bank transfer with the details. I need the cable ASAP, as it is now holding the job up.

t seems you can get them, but I have yet to find any "on the shelf" so to speak. I can get it from Thai Yazaki, but there is a 20 day wait, and it is now holding the job up.

My only other alternative at this stage may be to buy multi-stranded industrial double insulated cable and strip the outer sheath off.....

Expensive and a waste.

You would find it difficult in Australia to buy solid, single strand cables larger than 1.0mm2, andthere is a good reason for it. I can't even imagine pulling a solid single core 4mm2 cable around bends in conduit. The 1.5mm2 I am not to worried about, but the 2.5mm2 is for the grounding and should definitely be stranded.

Solid cables break easily, the joins are never as good, bending radius’s when pulling through conduit are reduced and they are generally more difficult to work with.

This is 1970's technology IMO and could easily cause a problem which for the sake of a few Baht could be elliminated..

Any help will be appreciated,thanks.

Tony
rigpig.sparky

Re: Stranded Cables for house wiring

Postby Makmak456 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:30 pm

I stumbled across some 2X2.5 stranded. I think you should take a drive to Bangkok. Also look in the "TOA" shops, they mostly sell paint but some have ele wire and tools.
Mark
Makmak456

Postby rigpig.sparky » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:44 pm

Thanks Mark, There are some big TOA places here on the island, I'll check them out, I've tried the Home Pro's an Home Marts.

I would go to Bkk but wouldn't know where to start.....

For an explination of why :

I am an Electrician with 2 licenses from Australia (amongst other qualifications), I am currently working as a Field Foreman in Saudi Arabia, in charge of the electrics on 6 oil rigs.

You would find it difficult in Australia to buy solid, single strand cables larger than 1.0mm2, and there is a good reason for it. I can't even imagine pulling a solid single core 4mm2 cable around bends in conduit. The 1.5mm2 I am not to worried about, but the 2.5mm2 is for the grounding and should definitely be stranded.

It's 1,000,000 times easier to get into conduit without doing the Thai thing of cutting into short lengths and joining in the boxes (with associated reliability issues, we all know how Thai's join wires), do you know how easy it is to put a nick into a (single strand) cable when stripping it back, and how easily that cable can break when you push the switch or power point back into it's box? When you put cables into a screwed terminal, at the back of a switch or power point, especially if you do not twist the cables together first, which is not uncommon, do you know the chances of one of those single strands going down the side of the screw and not being clamped firmly underneath it (causing an arc)? These are but a few reasons, and they can lead to fires, especially when under load. When cables are put under varying loads they get hot then cool down, they expand then contract, causing them to get looser and looser, producing a bigger and bigger arc everytime until.... well I'll leave that to your imagination....

These things are all but elliminated when using stranded cables. It is the reason you should ONLY use stranded cables for grounding. The rules and regulations are probably some of the toughest in Australia (I work all over the world and to different standards), and the reason is because they are designed to prevent these things from happening in the first place. I would (personally) spend the few extra Baht in the first place.....

Hope that helps a bit
rigpig.sparky

Postby schuimpge » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:28 pm

Forget about the home-pro's and other retail shops..if you want any electrical installation materials, go where the sparky goes.. They'll have it. My contractor took me to a large shophouse, I guess it used to be 4 of them all connected now. Stuffed to to roof with anything electric you need. And it's counter service only. You tell them what you need and a guy takes the order, prepares it and then you get your stuff.
That's where you will be sure to get stranded wire.
The one I went is in Rangsit. Next to the hospital on Rangsit Pathumthani road..
schuimpge

Postby schuimpge » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:32 pm

rigpig.sparky wrote:I would go to Bkk but wouldn't know where to start.....

If you need directions to the one in Rangsit, let me know, can have it checked before making the trip as well...
Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby rigpig.sparky » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:37 pm

I got directed to Rexel, by Schneider Electric, They wouldn't sell to me. They sent me to a BIG hardware shop they only had solid core. I found another place theough Thai Yazaki Cables, only solid core.....

Do you have contact details, for your store? Maybe I could getthem to send it down?

Thanks
rigpig.sparky

Postby groucho » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:57 pm

Hello Luc,

I would also be interested in the name, and or detailed directions/location of the electrical shop on Rangsit Pathumthani road. I am starting to wire my year and a half old build in Bangkok, and need a variety of supplies.

Many thanks,

groucho
groucho

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:04 am

rigpig.sparky wrote:I got directed to Rexel, by Schneider Electric, They wouldn't sell to me. They sent me to a BIG hardware shop they only had solid core. I found another place theough Thai Yazaki Cables, only solid core.....

Do you have contact details, for your store? Maybe I could getthem to send it down?

Thanks

You can get it from DoHome http://www.dohome.co.th/Default
sw2.jpg

stranded wire.jpg

sw3.jpg

The reason why it isn't generally used is obvious from the pictures
Sometimewoodworker

Postby schuimpge » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:39 am

Soi Rangsit-Pathum Thani 8 520/18
ประชาธิปัตย์
Pathum Thani 12130
Thailand
schuimpge

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:10 am

Any HomePro or ThaiWatsadu has the standard cable for wiring.
Roger Ramjet

Postby schuimpge » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:47 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:Any HomePro or ThaiWatsadu has the standard cable for wiring.

Standard or Stranded?
Will check next time I'm in Home-Pro, here in Rangsit, somewhere later this week I guess..

Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:21 am

Further to my last if you are looking for stranded with large diameter strands like this
image.jpg

I've not noticed it

Multi core single conductor cable like this

image.jpg

Is common

And for the larger sizes in conduit, or out, single strand single core is the most common

image.jpg
image.jpg (7.57 KiB) Viewed 577 times

Any colour sheath is used for live neutral or earth, there is no consistency :roll: :roll:
Sometimewoodworker

Postby pattayapope » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:42 am

Very difficult to buy stranded single conductors in Thailand I would check RS online they can probably supply it as ship to you direct, won't be cheap though as no one uses stranded single core wiring for household wiring system here. Good luck with your build :D
pattayapope

Postby groucho » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:35 pm

schuimpge wrote:Soi Rangsit-Pathum Thani 8 520/18
ประชาธิปัตย์
Pathum Thani 12130
Thailand

Thanks will take a look.
groucho

Postby thailazer » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:08 pm

Why not just install larger conduit to make pulling solid core wires through? Using stranded core wires in Thailand seems to me to be looking for problems, as I have had several line cords get black corrosion from the humidity that gets pulled in.
thailazer

Next

Return to electric