Urgent: 5kw Generator?

Information on electric installation and anything related to electric.
Design, materials, sources & prices, for separate topics on:
- Wiring diagrams, regulations and standards
- materials, installation, connection.
- sources & prices
- hazards and trouble shooting
Before you post any questions, download Itchy's tutorials and search for an answer there.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope, Attila

Urgent: 5kw Generator?

Postby thisisit » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:52 pm

We still dont have powerlines and start building. We want to get a generator anyway and our builder said we need a 5kw generator for powering the pump that gets water from our well. We need this water for curing the foundation.

So I need this generator in the next 2 days. Im in Chiang Mai. Any advice where and what to get?

Later on the generator should also work as a backup for our regular power supply.
thisisit
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:55 pm

Re: Urgent: 5kw Generator?

Postby geordie » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:09 pm

thisisit wrote:We still dont have powerlines and start building. We want to get a generator anyway and our builder said we need a 5kw generator for powering the pump that gets water from our well. We need this water for curing the foundation.

So I need this generator in the next 2 days. Im in Chiang Mai. Any advice where and what to get?

Later on the generator should also work as a backup for our regular power supply.


What size is your pump? .? 5 kva would almost run your aircon take a look at your well pumps amperage! Wattage and see if you really do need that sort of out put some of the large DIY type stores sell them but they are not cheap items i have always owned a 2-5 kva which i found sufficient for household backup also it will power an inverter type welder so you will either end up purchasing a welder later or get your power sorted fairly quickly
Another option could be tanker deliveries of water for the concrete as a short term measure get the builder to construct a blockwork tank
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
User avatar
geordie
 
Posts: 3867
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:39 am

Re: Urgent: 5kw Generator?

Postby MGV12 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:12 am

A shop close to Komtien market should have what you need ... and the technical knowledge to go with it ... sorry but after using it a few times I still don't know it's bloody name!

Head West on the Super Highway over the Ping River bridge ... take the next slip road off by the Water Department but instead of heading on towards Komtien market/the big Tesco-Lotus turn 180 left on the road that goes back to the Ping bridge underpass. About 100 metres on your right is a large materials shop with all sorts of heavy pipe and machine tools out front ... that's a good place to start. If they don't have what you want they can get it or if not can tell you where you can get it.

Good luck.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
User avatar
MGV12
 
Posts: 5350
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:23 pm
Location: Chiang Mai

Re: Urgent: 5kw Generator?

Postby wazza » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:12 am

It is an awfully big generator to run a water pump, given that a large deep well pump is only 1 kilowatt
wazza
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:28 am

Re: Urgent: 5kw Generator?

Postby geordie » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:40 am

wazza wrote:It is an awfully big generator to run a water pump, given that a large deep well pump is only 1 kilowatt



It will have an awfully big price tag to go with it last one i bought at 6 kva was italian diesel £5000 uk price but here they seem to be more expensive a 2.5 kva could be had from around £400 probably the most popular size and very easily converted to propane gas rather than petrol
Portability is another consideration the builder may have made a wild guess or he is anticipating for the later use welding
which will require higher amperage
Jazzman bought a small generator i beleive from makro some years ago it wasfrom memory 600/800 watt posibly enough for you pump and could be used for a few lights tv in an emergency from looking at the picture he posted it was a style that flooded into the uk from china at under £100 two stroke a freind of mine lived in a caravan with one of them using it for six months every evening while doing a self build it was also used for small power tools its demise was the voltage regulator
Mechanically it was still functional and small enogh to be truly portable
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
User avatar
geordie
 
Posts: 3867
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:39 am

Re: Urgent: 5kw Generator?

Postby fredlk » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:44 am

geordie wrote:It will have an awfully big price tag to go with it last one i bought at 6 kva was italian diesel £5000 uk price but here they seem to be more expensive a 2.5 kva could be had from around £400 probably the most popular size and very easily converted to propane gas rather than petrol
Portability is another consideration the builder may have made a wild guess or he is anticipating for the later use welding
which will require higher amperage
Jazzman bought a small generator i beleive from makro some years ago it wasfrom memory 600/800 watt posibly enough for you pump and could be used for a few lights tv in an emergency from looking at the picture he posted it was a style that flooded into the uk from china at under £100 two stroke a freind of mine lived in a caravan with one of them using it for six months every evening while doing a self build it was also used for small power tools its demise was the voltage regulator
Mechanically it was still functional and small enogh to be truly portable


Punctuation
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Punctuation marks are symbols that indicate the structure and organization of written language, as well as intonation and pauses to be observed when reading aloud.
In written English, punctuation is vital to disambiguate the meaning of sentences.


You no use, me no read.
User avatar
fredlk
 
Posts: 5879
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:11 pm

Re: Urgent: 5kw Generator?

Postby geordie » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:02 am

fredlk wrote:
geordie wrote:It will have an awfully big price tag to go with it last one i bought at 6 kva was italian diesel £5000 uk price but here they seem to be more expensive a 2.5 kva could be had from around £400 probably the most popular size and very easily converted to propane gas rather than petrol
Portability is another consideration the builder may have made a wild guess or he is anticipating for the later use welding
which will require higher amperage
Jazzman bought a small generator i beleive from makro some years ago it wasfrom memory 600/800 watt posibly enough for you pump and could be used for a few lights tv in an emergency from looking at the picture he posted it was a style that flooded into the uk from china at under £100 two stroke a freind of mine lived in a caravan with one of them using it for six months every evening while doing a self build it was also used for small power tools its demise was the voltage regulator
Mechanically it was still functional and small enogh to be truly portable


Punctuation
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia





Punctuation marks are symbols that indicate the structure and organization of written language, as well as intonation and pauses to be observed when reading aloud.
In written English, punctuation is vital to disambiguate the meaning of sentences.


You no use, me no read.


I am struggling even more than usual using a samsung galaxy i canot figure out how to go back and even correct spelling other than delete and start again
Last night i tried to insert the cursor into some text several attempts and all the happened was it gave me a double image
Text on top of text

Two items of good news i have finally figured out how to e mail pictures from the galaxy.
Secondly the replacement laptop which i hate has for some reason got spellcheck automatically correcting some words or underlining stuff it thinks wrong so at least my spelling should improve when using it rather than the pad
Who knows windows nin might add punctuation
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
User avatar
geordie
 
Posts: 3867
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:39 am

Re: Urgent: 5kw Generator?

Postby MGV12 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:15 am

You might find this useful thisisit ..... http://www.doityourself.com/forum/elect ... -pump.html

Well pumps can need a lot of juice on start-up

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
User avatar
MGV12
 
Posts: 5350
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:23 pm
Location: Chiang Mai

Re: Urgent: 5kw Generator?

Postby geordie » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:32 am

Just confirms that the specifics of the well pump need to be considered wattage amperage need to be known but given the tendency of most generators to surge on startup i woul not go overboard on size i have had 300+volts on startupso rule one is disconect all electronics before starting
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
User avatar
geordie
 
Posts: 3867
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:39 am

Re: Urgent: 5kw Generator?

Postby fredlk » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:51 am

geordie wrote:I am struggling even more than usual using a samsung galaxy ....
.... Secondly the replacement laptop which i hate

Many moons ago you were advised to buy quality and not to buy cheap, but you never listen. :lol:
User avatar
fredlk
 
Posts: 5879
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:11 pm

Re: Urgent: 5kw Generator?

Postby MGV12 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:04 pm

Maybe we all missed the boat as the OP hasn't logged in since yesterday afternoon.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
User avatar
MGV12
 
Posts: 5350
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:23 pm
Location: Chiang Mai

Re: Urgent: 5kw Generator?

Postby BKKBILL » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:32 pm

fredlk wrote:
geordie wrote:I am struggling even more than usual using a samsung galaxy ....
.... Secondly the replacement laptop which i hate

Many moons ago you were advised to buy quality and not to buy cheap, but you never listen. :lol:


Maybe all the computers, pads, phones, etc. don't understand geordie. :?
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
User avatar
BKKBILL
 
Posts: 2946
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 10:05 pm
Location: Mae Taeng, Chiang Mai

Re: Urgent: 5kw Generator?

Postby geordie » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:07 pm

BKKBILL wrote:
fredlk wrote:
geordie wrote:I am struggling even more than usual using a samsung galaxy ....
.... Secondly the replacement laptop which i hate

Many moons ago you were advised to buy quality and not to buy cheap, but you never listen. :lol:


Maybe all the computers, pads, phones, etc. don't understand geordie. :?


Xilint gess Bill
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
User avatar
geordie
 
Posts: 3867
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:39 am

Re: Urgent: 5kw Generator?

Postby MGV12 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:13 pm

BKKBILL wrote:
fredlk wrote:
geordie wrote:I am struggling even more than usual using a samsung galaxy ....
.... Secondly the replacement laptop which i hate

Many moons ago you were advised to buy quality and not to buy cheap, but you never listen. :lol:


Maybe all the computers, pads, phones, etc. don't understand geordie. :?


Could it possibly be that Samsung are misrepresenting the Galaxy by calling it a smart phone? Or is it merely meant for smarter people? :P

There are lots of geordie app's http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/whats-on ... ou-6391707 but none seem to cater for translation or interpretation. :(

On-topic footnote: Be careful if charging any electronic device from a generator. 8)

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
User avatar
MGV12
 
Posts: 5350
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:23 pm
Location: Chiang Mai


Return to electric

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest