I thought I might have a problem.

Information on electric installation and anything related to electric.
Design, materials, sources & prices, for separate topics on:
- Wiring diagrams, regulations and standards
- materials, installation, connection.
- sources & prices
- hazards and trouble shooting
Before you post any questions, download Itchy's tutorials and search for an answer there.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope, Attila

I thought I might have a problem.

Postby Baht Man » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:20 pm

But after extensive reading here ....mayby not.

I know least about elec. more than any trade. What's a watt?

Issue: The elec. run to my future, proposed house, was 150 to 170 meters. I had a 15/45 amp meter installed after getting the address.

On advise (maybe not so sound) over current loss, (amps or whatever) over distances, and the fact that I opted for alu. over copper due to costs..
I buried 2-50 mm2 cables in yellow conduit along the properties edge. No future digging to be done here and the wire was rated for underground burial.

When it was connected to the meter and temp. box half of the strands were cut off so the wire would fit inside the connector.
When questioned I got "we do this all the time".

I was going to post about my concerns regarding this and if I need worry about "enough power"
Ex: Gas vs elec. range and gas vs elec. boiler. A/C usage etc.

Should I ? :?

(I'm pretty sure that during my build, using a full sized breaker box, the whole 50mm2 wire will fit but what about at the meter?)
The more hair I loose, the more head I get.
Baht Man

Re: I thought I might have a problem.

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:37 pm

Baht Man wrote:But after extensive reading here ....mayby not.

I know least about elec. more than any trade. What's a watt?

Issue: The elec. run to my future, proposed house, was 150 to 170 meters. I had a 15/45 amp meter installed after getting the address.

On advise (maybe not so sound) over current loss, (amps or whatever) over distances, and the fact that I opted for alu. over copper due to costs..
I buried 2-50 mm2 cables in yellow conduit along the properties edge. No future digging to be done here and the wire was rated for underground burial.

When it was connected to the meter and temp. box half of the strands were cut off so the wire would fit inside the connector.
When questioned I got "we do this all the time".

I was going to post about my concerns regarding this and if I need worry about "enough power"
Ex: Gas vs elec. range and gas vs elec. boiler. A/C usage etc.

Should I ? :?

(I'm pretty sure that during my build, using a full sized breaker box, the whole 50mm2 wire will fit but what about at the meter?)
For the temp box no problem as they aren't going to be stressing the supply. You loss would have come from 170m run if using a cable that was too small. For the final box and the PEA meter make sure that the correct aluminium to copper connectors are used. Big problem down the way if you don't.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Baht Man » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:06 pm

Let me clarify something.
PEA put in the 15/45 meter last year.

I had a 4m x 7m storge building a few months ago and it was wired copper by a builders sparky. Never thought about the connections, but all is well so far,
and not much load. Lights and water pump.

It ran from the meter to a small 4 breaker box (alum in) to supply it and then copper out to the structure.

Would this (or the future proposed panel) provide the proper connections? (within the Square D ?)
Baht Man

Postby Baht Man » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:10 pm

I'm concerned about the connections surely, but also about the impending load via alum wire over the run.

The meter was supplied (PEA) and existing wires down the road are alum. as well.

My multi meter reads close to 240 acv and the runs end.
Baht Man

Postby geordie » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:00 pm

We do this all the time doe,s not make it right you will not have an issue until you load the circuit reducing the strands is in effect reducing the load bearing ability of the cable never worked with aluminium so do not know what size you need but again its dependent on your end use if need be you could terminate the aluminium before the meter and use copper tails just short copper cables that will fit into the meter terminals which seems to be the concern
you should be able to find a terminal block that will take the full size of the aluminium and obviously the copper will be smaller (small enough for the meter but then you may have the same problem from meter to house and on fuse/breaker box worth a trip to a large store and play :) interesting problem though will have to take a look when I get back on site as we have probably got the same set up

The voltage will be stable until you give it a good load then the joint is likely to cook causing resistance to go up voltage to go down the more amps you use the worse the problem might get on the up side because its terminated into a large brass receptacle it may never be a problem
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Return to electric