Diesel powered generators

Information on electric installation and anything related to electric.
Design, materials, sources & prices, for separate topics on:
- Wiring diagrams, regulations and standards
- materials, installation, connection.
- sources & prices
- hazards and trouble shooting
Before you post any questions, download Itchy's tutorials and search for an answer there.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope, Attila

Diesel powered generators

Postby Tommy » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:40 pm

As the power supply is really unstable in my area, I'm considering getting a diesel powered generator.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384958024.329002.jpg

HomePro only has the last model on display. 8500CXS.

Just to confirm.. Max. Output refers to the total amount of power it pumps out right? And is it enough for normal home usage? The only appliance that consumes the most electricity now is the instant water heater in shower at 450w.

Does any member here uses diesel power generators and mind sharing advice / suggestions?

Thanks.
Tommy

Re: Diesel powered generators

Postby pattayapope » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:55 am

Are you sure it is desel and not petrol, from the picture it looks like petrol model :roll:
pattayapope

Postby Tommy » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:30 am

Sorry. You are right. It's petrol. Not diesel. My bad.
Tommy

Postby sjeng » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:54 pm

Tommy wrote:As the power supply is really unstable in my area, I'm considering getting a diesel powered generator.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384958024.329002.jpg

HomePro only has the last model on display. 8500CXS.

Just to confirm.. Max. Output refers to the total amount of power it pumps out right? And is it enough for normal home usage? The only appliance that consumes the most electricity now is the instant water heater in shower at 450w.

Does any member here uses diesel power generators and mind sharing advice / suggestions?

Thanks.

I think your water heater is a 4500 watt = 4,5 Kw
Have to notice that the output power from a generator is a peak Kw level.
General they only bring 70 % of this output.
And last but not least when using an electric engine ( fridge, airco, washing machinemwater-pump a.s.o.) they mostly need a 2 x higher amount of electic power to start up.
when they are running they use mostly the watts that are in the manual so a 500 watt engine needs about 1000 watt to start.
Waterheaters and other heating devices don't have this starting up problem, but they need a lot of power.

So have to look what is your daily electric consumption now ( PEA bill divided by 30 or 31 ).
Then have to think what do you need when there is a power drop. TV, Fan, Lamp, computer, Fridge AND IMPORTANT What you dont need.

For basic use a 2,5 kw generator will do the job, but you have to take a cold shower or wait for the power is back in town.
sjeng

Postby geordie » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:36 pm

I have to agree a 2.5 kva is enough to keep the average home alive I used one several times in the uk when we had power outs
remember before you start it isolate from grid and have any electronics unplugged before starting it will surge when it starts up to 350 400 volts not good for your tv computer ect some electronics will not like working on a genny something to do with the frequency I have lost a couple od cordless drill battery chargers and an inverter welder mayby a ups for the tv computer and the genny for other stuff but flourecent lights even react badly on generators the tubes go black on the ends after a couple of hours then they die very quickly compact flourecent are even more quirky some makes refusing to start up or dying within the hour unfortunately you can dependent on make have the same problems with inverters although a lot less likely petrol genny.s can be converted to run on gas very easily its a case of installing a large regulator and a spacer between the carb and the engine usually you start on petrol then turn off the fuel supply as the genny starts to cough you turn on the gas which is fed through a jet on the spacer agin this is better done with no load as when the gas kicks in it can also cause a surge measure the running speed of the genny for output as a change in voltage will also change the frequency (hertz) which is what will cause the damage
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Tommy » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:38 am

Thanks George and SJ. My main worry now is on my weigh bridge and the 2 halogen floodlights (1500w bulbs) to be used later.

Can live in darkness and other discomforts for awhile but can't afford to have my weigh bridge and flood lights having down times during sugar cane harvesting period.

Will figure out more details and post again
Tommy

Postby geordie » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:40 pm

Tommy wrote:Thanks George and SJ. My main worry now is on my weigh bridge and the 2 halogen floodlights (1500w bulbs) to be used later.

Can live in darkness and other discomforts for awhile but can't afford to have my weigh bridge and flood lights having down times during sugar cane harvesting period.

Will figure out more details and post again

Not a cheap option but the halogens can be replaced with led,s and they could run a long while on a small ups designed for a computer quite cheap to buy probably less than the led,s the weighbridge you will need to find out the KW / power consumption but I am assuming again not a huge load and it can be simply switchedoff between loads to conserve consumption again a ups may be feasible or an inverter/battery pack that would isolate the kit from the genny which could be used for fridge lights ect and the genny could in fact be used to charge the batteries all you need to do is research the inverter,s available and get one compatible with electronic equipment
Not knowing if you have ever used a UPS its an uninteruptible power supply basically a battery charger/inverter combined with various sized battery packs the ups goes into the feed for the kit you want to maintain so is constantly charging as soon as the power drops out the inverter will cut in to maintain your equipment a quick google will give you mor info I would suggest you check with manufacturer if the UPS can take a genny to charge if not go get a basic (transformer driven ) battery charger and connect directly to the battery pack this can take the fluctuations of a genny usually but the more modern electronic chargers cannot
There are in some stores a small 650=850 watt two stroke genny,s available with good regulators for the frequency but unfortunate low power out a friend of mine lived seven days a week in a caravan with one while building a house 6 months before it died Jazzman published a picture of one a few years back (search power out brown out UPS 0

so basically your equipment will be maintained on a battery pack inverter setup and the genny will charge that and run suplus equipment
ps an inverter is capable of maintaining equipment dependant upon amps in the battery pack increase the battery pack / amperage will increase the length of time it runs so if its 12v you could hook it to the car battery in desperation or simply buy a couple of leisure / traction batteries thinking then aloud a couple of car halogens 12v 75 watt will be cheaper than led but will eat power
geordie

Postby Tommy » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:17 pm

Thank you so much for the suggestions George. Will be going into Korat city tomorrow and look around HomePro / Dohome and a couple of stand alone shops.

Quick clarification. 12v 75watts-->>Are you referring to the bulbs for vehicle headlights on this?
Tommy

Postby geordie » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:44 pm

Tommy wrote:Thank you so much for the suggestions George. Will be going into Korat city tomorrow and look around HomePro / Dohome and a couple of stand alone shops.

Quick clarification. 12v 75watts-->>Are you referring to the bulbs for vehicle headlights on this?

yes if you want emergency lighting a couple of car spotlights could be used but they do eat juice alternate ly you can pick up emergency lighting at a lot of stores the let down weak point is the length of time they will run governed by bulb size battery size reducing the bulb size (led) and expanding the battery size AH amp hour will extend the system life the weighbridge is really the unknown quantity as in how much power it will consume but that is going to govern the size ? power you need do home near me do both inverters and generators the name excapes me at the moment but there is an electronic component for dealing with over voltage from generators quite commonly found in extension cords marketed to protect your electronics from such occasions so you could possibly buy a genny for the weighbridge and start as required allowing an inverter to maintain lights computer ect but as a back up run a battery charger off the genny to top up the inverter batteries
geordie

Return to electric