Bad Juice

Information on electric installation and anything related to electric.
Design, materials, sources & prices, for separate topics on:
- Wiring diagrams, regulations and standards
- materials, installation, connection.
- sources & prices
- hazards and trouble shooting
Before you post any questions, download Itchy's tutorials and search for an answer there.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope, Attila

Bad Juice

Postby thailazer » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:20 am

Yesterday the grid in our area had a problem for about 8 hours and the line voltage was running between 100 and 200 volts. Most things would work as the power supplies are 100-240 volt units but the toaster would just warm the bread and the shower water was barely warm. Crazy thing is that they were able to repair the fault without ever taking the electricity down. We kept a close eye on the water pump but it was starting fine although running quite slow. Was nice to take a good hot shower once the electricity was back up to normal as yesterday was a cool rainy day up here.
thailazer

Re: Bad Juice

Postby Ians » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:34 pm

I would isolate the pump in future or at least keep a very close eye on it, it will try to run at its normal speed but the lower voltage means higher amps means increased temp rise of the windings - therefore caution needed.
Ians

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:05 pm

It's important to switch of any thing with a motor as prolonged low voltage will burn the out, fans, aircons, fridges etc.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby jazzman » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:35 pm

If this is a regular occurence, consider getting a voltage 'over/under' module installed in your consumer unit or load centre.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:39 pm

jazzman wrote:If this is a regular occurence, consider getting a voltage 'over/under' module installed in your consumer unit or load centre.

I would like more information about how to ask for that kind of unit, the Thai or a photo would be very helpful.
Thanks
Sometimewoodworker

Postby thailazer » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:17 pm

I don't think there are units available unless there is a diesel generator attached that could handle the kind of fault we had a few days ago. As I said, the voltage was sometimes as low as 100 volts. Wise thing to have done would have been to disconnect the house but being an EE, wanted to see what all would keep running. Things have been very stable since the issue went away which is good.
thailazer

Postby BKKBILL » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:15 pm

They seem to be relocating a lot of power lines at the Pai junction for a new connection to #1001 just to the south east of you. Might have something to do with it since your power is now stable.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby thailazer » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:49 pm

BKKBILL wrote:They seem to be relocating a lot of power lines at the Pai junction for a new connection to #1001 just to the south east of you. Might have something to do with it since your power is now stable.

That would explain it as it was ragged for several hours and then just went back to normal.
thailazer

Postby BKKBILL » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:01 am

Now we are being plagued with power fluctuations starting about eight last night although everything seems normal this morning, voltage was from 120V - 135V lights that were on stayed on others that were off wouldn't start up, starters I guess. Shut most everything down just to be safe. :? :(
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby thailazer » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:19 pm

BKKBILL wrote:Now we are being plagued with power fluctuations starting about eight last night although everything seems normal this morning, voltage was from 120V - 135V lights that were on stayed on others that were off wouldn't start up, starters I guess. Shut most everything down just to be safe. :? :(

Our power has been good ever since that one bad day. Sounds like they might be working up in your area now. I have my suspicions about what they are doing based on my fault analysis classes on three phase power transmission classes back in college, but it is not SOP in the west! Hope things stabilize there for you.
thailazer

Return to electric