wire colours

Information on electric installation and anything related to electric.
Design, materials, sources & prices, for separate topics on:
- Wiring diagrams, regulations and standards
- materials, installation, connection.
- sources & prices
- hazards and trouble shooting
Before you post any questions, download Itchy's tutorials and search for an answer there.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope, Attila

wire colours

Postby windjammer » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:47 am

I will be buying some electrical wires for the builder (1.5mm and 2.5 mm) and he told me to buy at least green wire for the ground and the rest is "up to me" . Isn't there a standard here in Thailand and if not can someone advise me what the other 2 colours should be?
windjammer

Re: wire colours

Postby fredlk » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:54 am

windjammer wrote:Isn't there a standard here in Thailand

No there isn't.
windjammer wrote: what the other 2 colours should be?

I have in my house black and white as well as red and yellow and that's the ones I can see.
fredlk

Postby pattayapope » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:16 am

I used red and white for lighting circuits (1.5 mm2) and black and white for power circuits (2.5 & 4 mm2) and ofcourse green for earth but only on power circuits. :D
pattayapope

Postby BKKBILL » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:02 pm

Whatever colour used the most important thing is to be consistent.

On my build they are Black, White, Green.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby gliffaes » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:01 am

Actually I think there is a code and its red black green here NOW its was different just a few years ago but has been changed in recent years
Red (L) Black (N) Green Earth or in Tescos case "which colour u like Mista" and dont need earth
gliffaes

Postby sirineou » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:25 am

BKKBILL wrote:Whatever colour used the most important thing is to be consistent.

On my build they are Black, White, Green.

I second That :)
Electricity is color blind, and unfortunately so seem to be most Thai electricians, :lol:
as long as one is consistent any old color will do, but some color seem to convey a dander or safety
so Red for "hot" White for "Neutral" and Green for Ground,
but lately Bill's Black, White and Green configuration seems to be the popular choice, when I asked why I was told that some times the Red wire could fade to pink or white and create confusion,also some people are truly colorblind and don't see red, so the greater contrast between black and white is the safest and is preferred.
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby canopy » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:54 am

3 wire cables sold at all electrical stores in Thailand I have seen are always black-grey-green. If you are going to be consistent then why stop at your home so also be consistent with existing standards. So use these colors for hot-neutral-ground respectively. If you have a situation where different colors come into play, wrap the ends with colored electrical tape to make them consistent. I disagree that choosing any color for any purpose is ok as long as you are consistent. Green for example should never be used for anything other than ground and if you make all your hot wires green it would be not just dumb but possibly illegal too even in Thailand.
canopy

Postby BKKBILL » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:17 am

Oh here we go again...... :roll:

Have never heard anyone advocate using green coloured wire for anything other than ground. Even Thais get that one right

Most wiring in new residential builds in Thailand is done using single wires inside yellow PVC pipe not three wire cables. Many countries install the ground wire with no sheathing. Seems existing standards vary world wide.
BKKBILL

Postby gliffaes » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:32 am

BKKBILL wrote:Oh here we go again...... :roll:

Have never heard anyone advocate using green coloured wire for anything other than ground. Even Thais get that one right

Most wiring in new residential builds in Thailand is done using single wires inside yellow PVC pipe not three wire cables. Many countries install the ground wire with no sheathing. Seems existing standards vary world wide.

Tescos air con installers used green on mine for live!!!!! Until I told them nope we'll have red black green thanks, then they questioned why i wanted an earth.
They wanted to use green and purple for live and neutral.
New Id seen the colours somewhere IEC standard red black green and now used in Thailand alongside older colour schemes

http://www.crossy.co.uk/wiring/colour%20codes.html
gliffaes

Postby Ians » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:08 pm

irrespective of what code, colour or other thinking, the first thing I always do after isolating the circuit to be worked on is to stick the test lamp on all wires that I will be close to.
Ians

Postby Mike Judd » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:46 am

We have Red (Live) blue (Neutral) Green (Earth) here in Oz mainly, but I have often wondered as a Layman why they never started of in the beginning using Brown as the earth . Does that make sense.?
Mike Judd

Postby BKKBILL » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:15 am

Mike Judd wrote:We have Red (Live) blue (Neutral) Green (Earth) here in Oz mainly, but I have often wondered as a Layman why they never started of in the beginning using Brown as the earth . Does that make sense.?

My thinking would be red mean stop or danger with green being safe to go or safe.

wire colours.png

Be nice if countries could get it together.
BKKBILL

Postby Davidxxx » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:38 pm

I know the wiring colour topic has been addressed before but I would like to know the current recommendation.

I am about to wire a house with some single core cables in yellow plastic conduit (as recommended on this site) and some 3 core sheathed cables also in yellow plastic conduit.
The 3 core sheathed cables from the big stores are all green/yellow (earth) - blue (neutral) - brown (live) as current European standards even though they are from Thai cable manufacturers.
I understand the Thai standard is green (earth) - white or grey (neutral) - black (live).
If I follow the Thai standard for the single cables I will have a mix of colours and I don't want to leave problems for anyone later.
It is also worth noting that I have not seen single cable in brown so one cannot copy the European standard directly in single cable.

If anyone could shed further light on this I would be grateful

Davidxxx

Postby Ians » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:36 pm

I like the old Aussie system of red (danger) black (neutral) green (earth/safe) however that seems like old hat today, but really it doesn't matter all that much as long as you stay constant throughout the house and it's obvious what / how it has been done.
Whatever is done or however it is wired I never trust anything and will always check active / neutral with a multimeter or my sparkie screwdriver - you are dead for a long while trying to save a minute of your time assuming what is live and what isn't .
Ians

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:44 pm

Davidxxx wrote:If I follow the Thai standard for the single cables I will have a mix of colours and I don't want to leave problems for anyone later.
It is also worth noting that I have not seen single cable in brown so one cannot copy the European standard directly in single cable.

You can buy all the different coloured cables at Thai Watsadu stores, just make sure they are from Japanese factories in Thailand and not Chinese imports.
If you can find an electrical specialty shop they also stock them but it's strictly cash.
Roger Ramjet

Return to electric