solar energy

Information on electric installation and anything related to electric.
Design, materials, sources & prices, for separate topics on:
- Wiring diagrams, regulations and standards
- materials, installation, connection.
- sources & prices
- hazards and trouble shooting
Before you post any questions, download Itchy's tutorials and search for an answer there.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope, Attila

Re: solar energy

Postby sjeng » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:53 pm

florian wrote:does anyone run a complete off grid solar system?
building a small eco house far off the grid and thinking what system would make sense

Florian,
a friend of me has an off grid system for daytime use and he is happy about it. costs around 100.000 THB
He runs all the house appliances with no problem. fridge, water heater, washing machine, fans, tv rice cooker, aso

it is not cheap due to the batteries, but if you dont have grid access nearby its an option besides a noisy generator.

Important is to know how much power Kw you need for your eco-house on a 24 hour base.

when no grid access its always cost effective imo.
sjeng

Postby florian » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:55 am

Thanks for your reply Sjeng.

Yes, daytime use should not be a big issue. I really dont need much electricity anyway (no AC or other major draws) - I would however need some electricity over night for fans, fridge and a few lights for a couple hours. I looked at the new Tesla Powerwall 7KWH battery which might work quite well.

Do you know how many panels your friend is using?
florian

Postby sjeng » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:59 am

florian wrote:Thanks for your reply Sjeng.

Yes, daytime use should not be a big issue. I really dont need much electricity anyway (no AC or other major draws) - I would however need some electricity over night for fans, fridge and a few lights for a couple hours. I looked at the new Tesla Powerwall 7KWH battery which might work quite well.

Do you know how many panels your friend is using?

He is using 3 panels 280 Wp each.they bring an average 3 Kw a day, a 60amp charge controler and a 5 Kw inverter. connected to 8 trojan golfcart batteries. works well.

about the Tesla powerwall, is very big and expensive and might not be available in thailand. the golfcart batteries are a lot cheaper at 6k each for a 120 amp battery. look at http://www.gatewayequipment.co.th/produ ... egoryID=56 and download the brochure.

any more questions feel free or sent a PM
sjeng

Postby florian » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:02 am

excellent infos! thank you very much! I was looking for good battery setups... they seem to have so many options. I looked at the brochure... which ones is your friend using?
florian

Postby sjeng » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:24 pm

florian wrote:excellent infos! thank you very much! I was looking for good battery setups... they seem to have so many options. I looked at the brochure... which ones is your friend using?

He ordered 8 pcs of the T105 (from the signature line) they are not so expensive and have a lifetime of 1200 load cycles at 50 % DOD.
connected in series parallel arrangement giving 24 V and 250 Amph
there are other options but I think this was the most cost efficient choise.

about the inverter he did buy a 5 Kw because of the peak surge, for instance a waterpump, aircon or a fridge needs the dubble ammount of W to start up, and he did not know if he wantedor had to to expand his set at that time.

He ordered the panels and charge controler in Korat, they sent by courier all over thailand. link: http://www.thaipowertech.com/
look for solar panels and PWM controler not the cheap chinese controlers depending of your choice of panels 45 amp is probably more then enough.

inverter he ordered in china at ALI EXPRESS because the firm in korat did not have in stock. and they come from china anyway. so direct order is cheaper :lol: . I would advice at least 4 or 5 Kwh they are reliable and have some over capacity.

suk6 shopping and
feel free to ask if any technical questions,
regards sjeng
sjeng

Postby Psychic » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:21 pm

I will probably look at a solar system somewhere down the line, but for now it seems I will probably have to get a well drilled as our water supply is bad.
I was wondering, if they can actually find water, whether a solar well pump would have enough power to supply a sprinkler system straight from the well I've about 2 rai of land or if you need a storage system and another pump to the sprinklers.
Psychic

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:11 am

Solar energy is now getting very close to being a viable concern: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-02/t ... gy/7130392
But it still isn't quite there yet. And the cost of installing the system is still out of reach of the normal household.
Roger Ramjet

Postby schuimpge » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:07 pm

Batteries yes, very close..solar to reduce daytime electricity use is already there
schuimpge

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:48 pm

schuimpge wrote:Batteries yes, very close..solar to reduce daytime electricity use is already there

There was an interesting comment from the top man at SteelAndSolar when I talked about installing some panels "too expensive now, wait some time it will become better price" were his words.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby schuimpge » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:00 am

With all due respect, waiting for pricing to come down will keep you waiting forever.
I understand his remarks, given that there's quite some factories coming online in the coming months here in Thailand.
But looking at the prices right now, it is absolutely viable to use solar for reduction of your electricity use.

Don't forget that a large number of people only use a TV, a fan, a fridge and a few light bulbs at night!
On top of that, quite a number of those people has LCD/LED tv's nowadays, so their energy-load is very low.
Using only 1 battery and a 250w Panel would already reduce their consumption to almost zero.
schuimpge

Postby inthaiguy » Tue May 10, 2016 1:31 pm

florian wrote:does anyone run a complete off grid solar system?
building a small eco house far off the grid and thinking what system would make sense

This is a complete off grid system, but not cheap: http://www.cnxconstruction.com/index.html#01 They went with batteries for peak loads and hydrogen fuel cells. I think the neatest part of this installation is the solar panels are the roof for many parts of the house. The light that gets thru actually make an interesting pattern. If you seal the panels properly, why not just use them as roofing?

Here's their hydrogen storage. The electrolysis and fuel cell are all in each server rack. More photos on their site.
inthaiguy

Postby BKKBILL » Thu May 12, 2016 9:44 am

Germany Generated So Much Renewable Energy People Made Money Using Electricity

Everyone loves complaining about electricity costs, right? Maybe not in Germany, where the country recently produced so much renewable energy that customers had to be paid to use electricity.

Yes, really.

For a few hours on a sunny, windy Sunday, May 8, Germany broke renewable energy records. Quartz reported that during the afternoon, "the country's solar, wind, hydro and biomass plants were supplying about 55 GW of the 63 GW being consumed, or 87 per cent."

The previous record was 78 per cent, achieved on July 25, 2015 which in turn broke the previous year's record of 74 per cent.

The rest is at

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/05/11 ... 05622.html
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby MGV12 » Thu May 12, 2016 10:25 am

BKKBILL wrote:Germany Generated So Much Renewable Energy People Made Money Using Electricity

Everyone loves complaining about electricity costs, right? Maybe not in Germany, where the country recently produced so much renewable energy that customers had to be paid to use electricity.

Yes, really.

For a few hours on a sunny, windy Sunday, May 8, Germany broke renewable energy records. Quartz reported that during the afternoon, "the country's solar, wind, hydro and biomass plants were supplying about 55 GW of the 63 GW being consumed, or 87 per cent."

The previous record was 78 per cent, achieved on July 25, 2015 which in turn broke the previous year's record of 74 per cent.

The rest is at

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/05/11 ... 05622.html

Meanwhile ... in a place with a completely different level of understanding:

New record set for power consumption on May 11

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/162959

Maybe Thailand is aiming to be the hub of energy consumption in S E Asia:

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby sezze » Fri May 13, 2016 6:06 am

sjeng wrote:So another year successfully finished.
for those who are interested, last years power generation from my 3 Kw solar set came out at 5363 Kw which is slightly more than in 2014. (might be due to global heating :D )

KWh
2012 1624,28
2013 4522,71
2014 5134,07
2015 5365,63
2016 0,00
2017 0,00
2018 0,00
2019 0,00
2020 0,00
all 16646,69

Allthough it is nice , it has nothing to do with global warming . Might be climate change ( which in fact is global warming ) , but hot by itself is bad for solar panels , delivering less energy per watt from the sun . The most energy you will have on a freezing day full out sun ( not that that will happen in Thailand ) . Cooling your panels can deliver 20% more energy in a instant , enough info over internet . 8) .
sezze

Postby BKKBILL » Sat May 14, 2016 1:06 pm

sezze wrote:Might be climate change ( which in fact is global warming ) , but hot by itself is bad for solar panels , delivering less energy per watt from the sun . The most energy you will have on a freezing day full out sun ( not that that will happen in Thailand ) . Cooling your panels can deliver 20% more energy in a instant , enough info over internet . 8) .

Cooling the panels would probably take more power than any savings cooling them, but you could always tap into the grid to make up any shortfall. :roll:
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

PreviousNext

Return to electric