Getting Electricity Ran To Your Property

Information on electric installation and anything related to electric.
Design, materials, sources & prices, for separate topics on:
- Wiring diagrams, regulations and standards
- materials, installation, connection.
- sources & prices
- hazards and trouble shooting
Before you post any questions, download Itchy's tutorials and search for an answer there.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope, Attila

Getting Electricity Ran To Your Property

Postby Strange » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:34 am

So me and the wife got some land, and we want to get electricity to it. We wanted to get an "emergency line" to the land for the house building process. The land is about 100 meters from the nearest power pole. We go to the office, talk to some guy, he says they are real busy and it might take a week, we say ok, he wants a deposit of 4,6++ baht for the line. We pay it, he gives us a reciept, we <expletive removed - mod> off back to the house.

2 weeks later a guy calls out of the blue and says he is at the land and asks us to come there so he can hook up the line. We go over there and there are 2 guys in a white truck with a bamboo ladder strapped on top. He asks where we want the electric meter, we tell him to hang it on a tree. 10 seconds later he is done and I go to check his handy work. All he did was screw the brown box with the meter to a tree. No electric line, no power, nothing.

I find out that all the electric company will do is hook up the meter. They will not run lines, tap into electric poles, just only hook up the meter. Im told that its up to me how I get the power to the house, and they will come and put a meter on the house so I can pay them everymonth. So apperantly ANYBODY can just climb an electric pole and splice a line into it, just be sure to call the electric company so they can put a meter and get thier money.

I dont know anything about electrical stuff, and I have a felling this part of the build is going to have me annoyed.

Questions are:

Is the above the proper procedure for an "emergency line" normal???

What about when I get the house finished, and Im ready for REAL electricity. I think I might need a few poles sunk into the ground, and a bit of cable, but who does THAT?

Can you just tap into any electrical pole and run a cable to your house???

Can anyone tell me thier experience with getting electricity run to thier house? Im at a loss for what to do, and I dont really feel like getting <expletive removed - mod> on this.

OH! and yes I got the deposit back after some arguing from my wife at the electric office.

Note to poster: please moderate your language - mod
Strange

Re: Getting Electricity Ran To Your Property

Postby canopy » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:34 am

I don't know about emergency lines, but it is standard practice in Thailand, the US and other parts of the world that the power company is responsible for the installation up to and including the meter. Past the meter is your responsibility and you normally hire an electrician to do that part.
canopy

Postby otis-a » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:38 am

i will venture to say, tit. So as often found all things are up to locals doing work as they wish it done. For our build, wify father arranged with neighbor & tapped his house feed line. We paid his meter bill during entire build. Peanuts & really a simple option.
For meter:
wify got the house address book 1st.
Off to Regional Elect. Admin. (rea) 2nd.
They give her some forms to fill & she pays 4.5k tb deposit 3rd
electrical inspector asks some questions about where is house - few days later shows up + makes his count looks at boxes, breakers, appliances.. Etc. He explained this is to make his determination of meter size and whether or not we need 3phase. 4th
inspector prognosis was we r fine with 1phase- ok by me as all gear just 1ph. I wanted to seperate lines run from meter. 1line for upper floor bb 2nd for 1st floor bb, rea says no. U get 1 feed line. Ok so i do a jb + buss bar on house side and break out to feed seperate lines. s.n.a.f.u.'d as i alreadry ran 2 lines to meter pole plus had a buss bar + jb there, that rea refused to allow. Ok that was 5th
lastly i asked guys who came out to check runs to bb's & well they did. They rewire our sparky's hook in. Also if u r using a gfi the neutral needs be on correct leg. Otherwise it will be tripping the gfi device. All is well, big smiles when i tip rea hook up guys 200tb each. Done
good luck with your rea
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Postby Rick B » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:58 am

Based on what I experienced when I built my house, the local electric authority installed a meter and power line to their side of the meter. When my builder first came on site, he connected a temporary cable to the other side of the meter and that was our temporary electric supply for the house build. We paid about 6,000 baht and got it back when we returned the meter to the electric company at the time we were ready for permanent power. IMO, you should have had a power line and neutral run from the overhead wires to you temporary meter by the electric company. I've never seen where the electric company expected you to tap into their mains.

I agree with Canopy that it's your responsibility for all cables and poles on the house side of the meter, whether it is a temporary meter or a permanent meter. If the power company determines that they need a pole added on their side of the meter and some additional cables run to the permanent meter, you will probably be asked to pay for that also. As Otis stated, the power company should also determine the amount of power you will require permanently and whether you will need single phase or 3-phase. Unless you have a large house with several A/C units, you can probably get by with single phase.

What I don't understand from what you've said so far is that the electric company gave back your deposit for the temporary meter. That action by them, along with the fact they didn't provide any cables to the temporary meter, are both unusual from my experience. Are you sure you're dealing with the Provincial Electric Authority?
Rick B

Postby Strange » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:16 am

Rick B wrote:Based on what I experienced when I built my house, the local electric authority installed a meter and power line to their side of the meter. When my builder first came on site, he connected a temporary cable to the other side of the meter and that was our temporary electric supply for the house build. We paid about 6,000 baht and got it back when we returned the meter to the electric company at the time we were ready for permanent power. IMO, you should have had a power line and neutral run from the overhead wires to you temporary meter by the electric company. I've never seen where the electric company expected you to tap into their mains.

I agree with Canopy that it's your responsibility for all cables and poles on the house side of the meter, whether it is a temporary meter or a permanent meter. If the power company determines that they need a pole added on their side of the meter and some additional cables run to the permanent meter, you will probably be asked to pay for that also. As Otis stated, the power company should also determine the amount of power you will require permanently and whether you will need single phase or 3-phase. Unless you have a large house with several A/C units, you can probably get by with single phase.

What I don't understand from what you've said so far is that the electric company gave back your deposit for the temporary meter. That action by them, along with the fact they didn't provide any cables to the temporary meter, are both unusual from my experience. Are you sure you're dealing with the Provincial Electric Authority?

Nope Im not sure it was the Provincial Electric Authority, but its the only one in the village, and its where everybodys electric bills come from. But other than that, you have it exactly right. I paid a deposit for the meter (witch I thought was for them to come and run a line from wherever and connect it to a meter) and they came with ONLY a meter to hook up and told my wife that that is all they do. Its my responsilitiby to bring power. WTF?! She told them to leave, and went to the office and got the deposit back. We then got a neighbor to allow us to run a line from his meter (about 300-400 meters away) to our land and paid an "electrician" 400 baht to get us a little watertight box and a few plugs and make us a temporary power outlet. This is what we will do until the house gets done I guess...

So I guess when the house is done, and we have the house book in hand, we can then go to the Electric Authority and they will come out and take a look at what we need to get power to the house from the street (about 200 meters away). Think im safe in assuming this? The wife is going to go in there and talk to the people again, and see what they say. I might just ask her dad to go in her place and try to get a straight answer. A male might be better for the job. Dunno.
Strange

Postby Moddam » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:25 pm

Hi

We had to buy a wooden pole, breaker blade (fuse) couple of metres of cable, couple of brackets, and 4 insulation blocks
Connect it all up, guy came out to check ok, then electrician came out and just installed temp meter and connected wires.
DIY job !! Paid deposit on meter.
Attachments
DSC02766.JPG
Moddam

Postby otis-a » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:53 pm

yepper modem
looks like a fix. Would you consider tying a red flag around the wires?
How long are u xpect'g z temp in temporary to be running?
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Postby Moddam » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:39 pm

Hi Otis
hope to start building next Tuesday, for about six months, or less hopefully !!
Could do with a red flag, woman opposite our land reversed her truck into one of our fence posts already! Lucky not the electric pole :evil:
Moddam

Postby Strange » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:50 am

OK the wife should be going today to the electric company and getting the scoop on what to do about this electric situation. We have the temporary line squared away, just need to figure out the procedure of getting the electric from the mains, to the house. Hopefully I will get some straight answers and I can carry on...

I will update when I know what they say, in the meantime, thanks guys for replying and telling me what you had to do.

Strange
Strange

Postby elgato » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:11 pm

I paid 18,800Bt for installation, 2 poles, wire, anchor etc. Distance estimated at 70 meters.
Photos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2882&start=75
I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.
elgato

Postby Mike Judd » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:14 pm

For one pole out-side front fence with a meter ,plus power strung from across the main road to our pole. Total cost B10,000 then my Electrician took over to connect our power supply which as I didn't want to have 6 or 7 poles it was underground for 130meters along the fence line to the house. All this was O.K. for us as we were building for a couple of years but it took several trips by my wife to the local office to get that pole and meter installed with-out paying some one some serious bribes . This was out-side Khon Kaen near Kosumpisi. Mike in Oz.
Mike Judd

Postby Strange » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:39 am

My wife talked to the electric company, and this is what they said.

We have 2 choices.

1 - We pay for the electric company to come out and put the poles in and run the electric. The house is 110m from the grid, and they said we need 5 poles put in. Basically all in they said that it will cost around 35,000-40,000. All the wife does is goes in and does some paperwork and they will start within a week or 2.

2- We wait. Get 60% of the house complete, get the house ID, then apply for the government to pay for it. Apparently for "Free". They said that once we get the house ID then it will take at least 2 months before they can come out and do the work.

I want to just go ahead and pay for it. I dont want to wait for the electric to move into the house, and I dont want to have to depend on the electric company to do what they said they can do. For some reason, it freaks me out a little to depend on the electric company to do what they say. it would be easy for them to start messing me about if they KNOW I need electric for my house... Maybe Im paranoid...

I dont know if the said price is a good one or not, but I would rather pay for it and get it now, then wait for them and risk waiting to move into the place. I dont know.. This electric office didnt make me feel very good the last time I was in there. No straight answers, alot of fake smiles....

What do you guys think?
Strange

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:42 am

Strange,
To be honest, I think the price is reasonable for 5 poles, and 2 wires over the 110 metres, especially when you consider the cost of the wires. I think I paid around 14,000 (I'd have to check) for just one 100 metre roll of copper wire from the pole to the house (and through the house). Then you've got labour, insulators, maybe strainers for the poles, transportation etc.
I think option one is the best for peace of mind too.
Roger Ramjet

Postby pattayapope » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:59 am

Agree with Roger the price seems to be in line with what others have paid and at least you will have power now rather than waiting to get it done when they have the time.[*] :roll:
pattayapope

Postby elgato » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:15 am

Gotta agree. Get it done now - peace of mind, etc, rather than waiting around when you're (nearly) finished with your build and they raise the price, change the game, take their time.......
I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.
elgato

Next

Return to electric