Led Lighting

Information on electric installation and anything related to electric.
Design, materials, sources & prices, for separate topics on:
- Wiring diagrams, regulations and standards
- materials, installation, connection.
- sources & prices
- hazards and trouble shooting
Before you post any questions, download Itchy's tutorials and search for an answer there.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope, Attila

Re: Led Lighting

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:13 am

pattayapope wrote:I bought quite anumber of the cluster type LED floods and everyone failed within a few months, I replaced them with mutiple single LED floods (4500 baht each) and they have been going for over a year now. Some failed because of moisture and others for no obvious reason. I talked to the shop and they replaced them all for free but I have not bothered to install any at the moment, I think the problem was in the LED controler

I'm pleased someone else has had a rotten experience with the LEDs which is why I avoided them like the plague up until I saw these new ones, and made in Italy on the box so I thought I'd have another go. Fortunately they will all be undercover, two with motion detectors in the garage/workshop, one on the top veranda (I hope it never goes on = intruders) and the rest are experimental.
To do the whole of my house at the prices quoted would cost about 60,000 baht + all the starters and so far I have had no failures from the spirals. When my 5 replacement spirals go, then I'll think about LED, but until then, they are not a viable option.
The only good LED I bought was a cheap Chinese made rechargeable torch for about 200 baht and it works a dream.... touch wood..... so far.
Roger Ramjet

Postby fredlk » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:14 am

Sometimewoodworker wrote:I have successfully bought quite a few LEDs from DX.com.

I looked but couldn't find the ones I've bought at 120 Baht each, 1.5 watt 30-LED. I did find a similar looking one for 760 Baht, 13 watt 216-LED. Mine bought at Numchai, Pattaya-Naklua seem to have been good value.
fredlk

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:09 am

Here's some very bad photos of the LED and halogen lights I bought: I still have another LED type to take a photo of.
I installed one halogen infra red motion detector light in the garage, which I thought had "blown" on installation (so I pulled the bloody thing apart twice) to find that each time I plugged it in it would flash on and then go dead. I know, I know, I'm a dumb bastard and when I finally read the instructions, I found it had 3 small adjustable knobs under the light that were all set not to work in daylight, brightness and distance....and of course it was set to not work in daylight. When I walked out at dusk the light worked a dream and each time a car or person passes the garage front gates the light comes on.
The others have places that I can't get to at the present so they'll be left for the electrician and his ladders.

Terrible photos:
Attachments
The EZI job.jpg
the halogen type.jpg
The Italian job.jpg
Roger Ramjet

Postby Ians » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:49 am

Roger
I am interested in the amount of "light" that the Carini LED 10 w put's out. Would / could you in any way class it as a spot-light or just an expensive and fancy casing housing a 10w LED.
Thanks
Ian
Ians

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:12 pm

Ians,
I'll plug two in beside each other, one LED and one halogen of similar wattage and take a photo later on. Unfortunately I think you're right and they're just expensive and fancy housings for an LED.
I have workers here at the moment and all sorts of problems with TOT and our internet.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Ians » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:22 pm

Roger
No rush, just looking for general feeling, thanks
Ians

Postby schuimpge » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:00 pm

Ian's, got two 10W like the Carini's. I think for 10w they put out a decent amount of light. Might not be your average halogen, but it's a massive step down in electricity and step up in longlivety.
I use them to replace 6x40w TL's above my fish-tank and I am very happy with it.

You can easily compare in HomePro, they have both at the light section, all there to switch on and see.

Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby Ians » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:14 pm

Thanks Luc
Just looking for something to put a bit of light into the backyard as and when needed - I'm not trying to turn night into day like the local floodlit sports ground - just sufficient to light-up the area for the occasional outdoor entertainment.
Guess it's buy 1 - see how it works.
Ians

Postby schuimpge » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:42 pm

Ians wrote:Thanks Luc
Just looking for something to put a bit of light into the backyard as and when needed - I'm not trying to turn night into day like the local floodlit sports ground - just sufficient to light-up the area for the occasional outdoor entertainment.
Guess it's buy 1 - see how it works.

Pretty sure a 10 or 20 Watt LED Flood will do exactly what you need. HomePro is expensive, if you're near BKK, visit Amorn, Zeer Rangsit Solar shop...they have several sizes between 500 & 1500 Baht.
schuimpge

Postby wazza » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:59 am

I picked up a 30 watt cluster type floodlight and installed it in my garden along with a daylight switch. Works very well and the floodlight was 1500 baht at a small town electrical supplies store.
wazza

Postby MGV12 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:44 pm

As always these days ... a complex and complicated story:

http://cleantechnica.com/2013/01/18/nex ... -sunlight/

A fairly current synopsis of LED lighting:

http://www.superhomes.org.uk/resources/ ... -home-use/

However ... on the downside:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/ ... 1H20130208

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Shastadad » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:01 am

I just purchased both the EZl Home and the Carini pictured above and other than the 100 THB price difference cannot see any difference between the two :roll:

Since the EZl Home is located on one corner of the house and on the other side of that corner is a normal "flood" light I have the opportunity to compare. The main difference is the color and brightness between the two. The flood is brighter and has a white light characteristic, where the LED is more subdued and a "yellower" cast

Time will tell if these 700-800 THB LED outdoor lights will last
Shastadad

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:48 pm

Shastadad wrote:Time will tell if these 700-800 THB LED outdoor lights will last

Two days ago I lost all lights and electrical power in the garage. My EZ had decided to go on, go off, go on, go off all by itself and trip my Safe-T-Cut board. I'm not sure if I'll replace it or not. I do have a spare EZ but after that I may replace it with a Carini.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Tommy » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:27 pm

RR, would you recommend carini then? Took a trip to HomePro today and saw a 20w carini. Shelf price is 3,999thb at promotion.

I'm looking to light up a pretty big area around 50m x 30m. Will 2 of this 20w carini be sufficient? Or can any anyone recommend / suggest better alternatives?
Tommy

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:52 am

Tommy wrote:RR, would you recommend carini then? Took a trip to HomePro today and saw a 20w carini. Shelf price is 3,999thb at promotion.

So far the 10w Carini has been really good and gives ample lighting, however, I would hate to have to replace them too often.
I ditched all those expensive floods and sealed beams in the garage and just replaced all of them with 12 watt screw in spirals which are brilliant. So far not one spiral (over 50 in the house) has died on me and the lighting is absolutely fantastic. I don't mind replacing spirals at 60 - 90 baht a shot, but LEDs' at 2,000 baht upwards I do.
Roger Ramjet

PreviousNext

Return to electric