Led Lighting

Information on electric installation and anything related to electric.
Design, materials, sources & prices, for separate topics on:
- Wiring diagrams, regulations and standards
- materials, installation, connection.
- sources & prices
- hazards and trouble shooting
Before you post any questions, download Itchy's tutorials and search for an answer there.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope, Attila

Re: Led Lighting

Postby fredlk » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:33 am

MGV12 wrote:do check to see if any 'new generation' bulbs are available at an affordable price as evolution never stops.

I think I paid between 100 Baht and 120 Baht for most of them which is a good price. Even if they do evolve, I have what I need which is a cool - as in not even feeling warm to the touch - lamp generating enough light to read by in warm-white. I doubt there can be much improvement even in quality as the 100 or so I bought and fitted seem to be excellent and better quality than any other lamp I have ever bought in my long history as a home-owner.
fredlk

Postby fredlk » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:47 am

After installation mid-2011, I have now had my first failure. One lamp that's been on every evening with the other 30 or so for about 4 hours every night, is off. It seems to be the driver that's failed and not the leds. One or two leds try to light up and then don't.
fredlk

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:00 pm

Yesterday I purchased a large number of different types of security lights after my "Sylvani" fiasco. To be honest I have never seen these types before (which doesn't mean a thing), but some not only have motion detectors built in with the LED lights, they also have a strange looking light that looks like those portable gas burners used on building sites but in a 2 inch square.
As I took the lot out to the new house yesterday I haven't had the chance to test them or take photos (I know, I know, where are the photos), but I will on Sunday and will post them, probably on Monday. If I remember correctly two of them came from Italy, but as I'm old with failing memory that could be wrong. They were really expensive (over 2,000 baht each) so they had better be good.
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:38 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:Yesterday I purchased a large number of different types of security lights after my "Sylvani" fiasco. To be honest I have never seen these types before (which doesn't mean a thing), but some not only have motion detectors built in with the LED lights, they also have a strange looking light that looks like those portable gas burners used on building sites but in a 2 inch square.
As I took the lot out to the new house yesterday I haven't had the chance to test them or take photos (I know, I know, where are the photos), but I will on Sunday and will post them, probably on Monday. If I remember correctly two of them came from Italy, but as I'm old with failing memory that could be wrong. They were really expensive (over 2,000 baht each) so they had better be good.

Obviously you would not have purchased these at Homepro :P so where did you get them?

"Portable gas burner" huh? I for one am waiting with bated breath for the pics :)

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:48 pm

MGV12 wrote:Obviously you would not have purchased these at Homepro so where did you get them?

"Portable gas burner" huh? I for one am waiting with bated breath for the pics

Actually I did get them at HomePro and it's the first time I've seen them. I asked the girl there if they were getting any "good" ones in a few months ago and she ambushed me, so I felt obligated to buy a few on trial.
I knew saying "portable gas burner" would get me in trouble, but that's what they looked like without my glasses, so to keep the word association going when I got home, that's what I wrote. The closest I can find on the web is this one: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Nature-Power ... jrWF-A5R0g minus the solar panel on the right.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:52 pm

Here it is: http://www.crompton.com.au/catalog/trad ... ith-sensor the center of it looks just like the gas heaters they used on building sites. Never seen anything like it before, but that doesn't say much. Looks like brass where the light is.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Ians » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:20 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:Here it is: http://www.crompton.com.au/catalog/trad ... ith-sensor the center of it looks just like the gas heaters they used on building sites. Never seen anything like it before, but that doesn't say much. Looks like brass where the light is.

Has anyone got any experience with these LED lamps, I would be interested in hearing your thoughts.
Ians

Postby MGV12 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:30 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:that's what they looked like without my glasses

Your next trip maybe needs to be to the optician ... or maybe simply remember to take your glasses on future trips as those two posts showed an entirely different type of LED :)

Hope your first LED experience proves to be as good at Fred's.

Those I had installed three years ago have [except for one small crap batch] been 100% and still going strong .... whereas halogens would have used many times more power and been replaced several times. If they are 240V no worries but any 12V versions need to have the right type of step-down transformer.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:48 pm

Ians wrote:Has anyone got any experience with these LED lamps, I would be interested in hearing your thoughts.

I have :lol: they're bloody expensive! :D But they can't go bust any quicker than the Sylvania ones I had.
I'll be sure to keep everyone posted and photos will follow.
MGV12 wrote:Your next trip maybe needs to be to the optician ... or maybe simply remember to take your glasses on future trips as those two posts showed an entirely different type of LED

MGV12,
I told you I bought three different types and I still can't find the last one. Have you ever seen the two I did post?
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:51 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:I told you I bought three different types and I still can't find the last one. Have you ever seen the two I did post?

Yes ... both of them ... but in the tradition of CTH I am happy to wait for the actual pics to identify what you actually bought.

MGV12

Postby schuimpge » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:16 am

Bought two of your "gas stove" LED floods. Amorn, smaller ones for one of my tanks, without the movement detector. They are running about 12 hours a day. No problems at all so far for 6 months and using only a 5th of the electricity. How many watts are yours? 20? 40?
schuimpge

Postby schuimpge » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:19 am

Amorn would charge about 1500 baht for the large ones with sensor if I remember correctly.
Will check the next time.
schuimpge

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:35 am

schuimpge wrote:Amorn would charge about 1500 baht for the large ones with sensor if I remember correctly.

That would be a nice price because mine were about 2,000 baht each. It's a hell of a lot to pay for a light, when you consider you can get the spiral globes for less than a tenth of that price. At the moment it's not looking too good on the financial side but I'm willing to experiment just to see if they are viable. The next test will be to see if they actually light up as floods. If they do then I'll be quite happy, but as I have already had a rotten experience with dismal LED light in my bathrooms and kitchen, I'm not going to hold my breath.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:41 am

I have successfully bought quite a few LEDs from DX.com. Some of them are multivoltage 100 to 240 V. They work in Japan and also in Thailand. As with most things from China the cheap ones are not necessarily good quality. But they do have a range of styles and prices ranging from inexpensive to really quite a lot. I have DX items shipped to Thailand I don't know if you'd pay duty on a more expensive package, mine was only $3 so no extra charge.
http://dx.com/c/home-garden-1099/lightings-1045/led-light-bulbs-1072?pageSize=200&sort=price&sortType=desc&page=2
Sometimewoodworker

Postby pattayapope » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:00 am

I bought quite anumber of the cluster type LED floods and everyone failed within a few months, I replaced them with mutiple single LED floods (4500 baht each) and they have been going for over a year now. Some failed because of moisture and others for no obvious reason. I talked to the shop and they replaced them all for free but I have not bothered to install any at the moment, I think the problem was in the LED controler :roll:
pattayapope

PreviousNext

Return to electric