Led Lighting

Information on electric installation and anything related to electric.
Design, materials, sources & prices, for separate topics on:
- Wiring diagrams, regulations and standards
- materials, installation, connection.
- sources & prices
- hazards and trouble shooting
Before you post any questions, download Itchy's tutorials and search for an answer there.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope, Attila

Led Lighting

Postby cunha9 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:19 pm

Hello,
I have read quite a lot regarding Led lighting which I am considering for my new build in Chiangmai.
Due to the cost involved I'm wondering if anyone has installed these lights and their experience, I am looking to install around 50 downlighters, preferably dimmable which are pretty expensive, and also some exterior lighting
I read in one of the postings that Homepro sell led lighting, how do they differ to halogen in ambience.
Thankyou
cunha9
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:58 pm

Re: Led Lighting

Postby fredlk » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:41 am

User avatar
fredlk
 
Posts: 5879
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:11 pm

Re: Led Lighting

Postby MGV12 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:00 am

cunha9 wrote:Hello,
I have read quite a lot regarding Led lighting which I am considering for my new build in Chiangmai.
Due to the cost involved I'm wondering if anyone has installed these lights and their experience, I am looking to install around 50 downlighters, preferably dimmable which are pretty expensive, and also some exterior lighting
I read in one of the postings that Homepro sell led lighting, how do they differ to halogen in ambience.
Thankyou


Hi - you might find something useful here in this existing thread:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1549

Also plenty of info available via Google of comparative lighting outputs [changing all the time as LED's evolve] in my opinion go for SMD's [Surface Mounted Diode type] rather than the glass bead type.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
User avatar
MGV12
 
Posts: 5349
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:23 pm
Location: Chiang Mai

Re: Led Lighting

Postby gliffaes » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:30 am

Prices stil prohibitive for leds and also the claimed lifespan has not been fully proven yet from what i read, I know of failures although in the uk some manufacturers offer a 7 year guarantee ( doubt this in Thailand), "decent" leds are not cheap plenty of Chinese crap available, cfl's are still a better bet at the moment BUT this is starting to change, price is the current killer factor. Electric usage between cfls and leds is really not that mich difference. Mercury in cfl's is not so good.
Leds lifespan can be killed by heat also.
gliffaes
 
Posts: 1943
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: Led Lighting

Postby Ians » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:26 pm

I am considering LED but only in high usage areas, can't see any saving if a lamp in only on for an hour or so a day.
User avatar
Ians
 
Posts: 924
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:38 am
Location: Phitsanulok

Re: Led Lighting

Postby pattayapope » Wed May 16, 2012 12:47 pm

A word of warning I purchased a small quantity of the cluster type LED flood lights for the garden and in a relativly short time (1 week to 2 months) everyone has failed. The shop has repalced some and has agreed to send them all back to the distributor to see why the failed so soon. I also talked to a speciality LED shop and they have tried to manufacture these but have not had good sucess with the LED drivers so have not started to sell them yet. I have now installed the multi LED floods (about 50 small individual LEDs) and they are OK but expensive at 4500 each unit.

LED flood lights.jpg
LED floods that have failed after short operating time
pattayapope
 
Posts: 1132
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 12:54 pm
Location: Huai Yai Chonburi

Re: Led Lighting

Postby canopy » Thu May 17, 2012 7:29 am

As far as I have seen, LED lights in Thailand are just not worth a darn right now. Huge premium prices for the exclusivity (I hate this about Thailand), no payoff down the line, short life so you are in the dark and need to replace them frequently, run very hot (some even have fans), limited availability & selection, and bottom of the barrel brands offered. I would be happy to be proven wrong though.
canopy
 
Posts: 293
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:15 pm

Re: Led Lighting

Postby fredlk » Thu May 17, 2012 8:20 am

canopy wrote:As far as I have seen, LED lights in Thailand are just not worth a darn right now. Huge premium prices for the exclusivity (I hate this about Thailand), no payoff down the line, short life so you are in the dark and need to replace them frequently, run very hot (some even have fans), limited availability & selection, and bottom of the barrel brands offered. I would be happy to be proven wrong though.

My led's, all 55 of them, are still working perfectly after almost a year. No failures, no heat and low price.
User avatar
fredlk
 
Posts: 5879
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:11 pm

Re: Led Lighting

Postby MGV12 » Thu May 17, 2012 10:48 am

fredlk wrote:My led's, all 55 of them, are still working perfectly after almost a year. No failures, no heat and low price.


I have a similar number and the only failures I have had are a few of those I brought from England; Chinese but so are most of the others I bought here.

Mine are mostly 12V and the critical thing is to use the correct driver ... which I did have to import. The wholesaler I used had to be 'persuaded' to obtain the LED's I wanted [all they had in stock were the colour-changing variety] but didn't have the foggiest notion about drivers apart from insisting "Halogen driver OK" .... not if you want a non-flickering light and long life it isn't!

A 3W LED lamp [equivalent light output to 35W Halogen] for 120Baht is not so bad, when you can pay that for a quality brand halogen. Lower consumption and longer life is working for me.

You won't get that price in places like HomePro ... they have LED's in their brochure, but not usually on the shelf, however the prices are three times+ what I have been paying.

I have to confess I was a little surprised that my experience has been favourable as the only LED bulbs readily available here are unbranded ... other than from the small specialist shops where prices are very high.

Some info on drivers: http://power-topics.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... upply.html

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
User avatar
MGV12
 
Posts: 5349
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:23 pm
Location: Chiang Mai

Re: Led Lighting

Postby jazzman » Thu May 17, 2012 7:02 pm

I've recently bought a bunch of LED bulbs to replace all the energy guzzling 50W dichroics in the soffit (eaves overhang) downlights around my house.
220V, 3W. 'KS' brand. About ฿90 each. Some store on Mittraphap Highway near Khon Kaen.
Attachments
LED.jpg
LED.jpg (33 KiB) Viewed 1585 times
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman
 
Posts: 2161
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:11 pm
Location: Thailand

Re: Led Lighting

Postby MGV12 » Fri May 18, 2012 5:26 am

jazzman wrote:I've recently bought a bunch of LED bulbs to replace all the energy guzzling 50W dichroics in the soffit (eaves overhang) downlights around my house.
220V, 3W. 'KS' brand. About ฿90 each. Some store on Mittraphap Highway near Khon Kaen.


Can get similar from my supplier but have found that this type gives higher lumen output and lasts longer ... well worth the extra Baht.

MR16 LED 3W.JPG

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
User avatar
MGV12
 
Posts: 5349
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:23 pm
Location: Chiang Mai

Re: Led Lighting

Postby fredlk » Fri May 18, 2012 5:30 am

MGV12 wrote:Can get similar from my supplier but have found that this type gives higher lumen output and lasts longer ... well worth the extra Baht.

I tried one of these (in the 220 volt E27 version) and found it generated quite a bit of heat as opposed to the ones I finally bought which do not heat up at all.
User avatar
fredlk
 
Posts: 5879
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:11 pm

Re: Led Lighting

Postby MGV12 » Fri May 18, 2012 5:52 am

fredlk wrote:
MGV12 wrote:Can get similar from my supplier but have found that this type gives higher lumen output and lasts longer ... well worth the extra Baht.

I tried one of these (in the 220 volt E27 version) and found it generated quite a bit of heat as opposed to the ones I finally bought which do not heat up at all.


Nothing significant in the 12V version but these issues do vary by manufacturer and the higher the output the more heat to dissipate .... although way down on halogens, compact LED bulbs still do produce some heat and it depends on how the manf deals with it as to how much radiates.

Which type did you get? Branded? Cost? Pic?

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
User avatar
MGV12
 
Posts: 5349
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:23 pm
Location: Chiang Mai

Re: Led Lighting

Postby fredlk » Fri May 18, 2012 6:09 am

MGV12 wrote:Which type did you get? Branded? Cost? Pic?

See http://www.coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1698&start=1500#p28997
User avatar
fredlk
 
Posts: 5879
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:11 pm

Re: Led Lighting

Postby MGV12 » Fri May 18, 2012 8:35 am

fredlk wrote:
MGV12 wrote:Which type did you get? Branded? Cost? Pic?

See http://www.coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1698&start=1500#p28997


Sorry ... had a Doh! moment ... as you'd already placed a link earlier in this thread :oops:

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
User avatar
MGV12
 
Posts: 5349
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:23 pm
Location: Chiang Mai

Next

Return to electric

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron