Electricity charges - A WARNING

Information on electric installation and anything related to electric.
Design, materials, sources & prices, for separate topics on:
- Wiring diagrams, regulations and standards
- materials, installation, connection.
- sources & prices
- hazards and trouble shooting
Before you post any questions, download Itchy's tutorials and search for an answer there.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope, Attila

Re: Electricity charges - A WARNING

Postby Destruction Del » Fri May 09, 2014 7:05 pm

schuimpge wrote:
Destruction Del wrote:It's Kilo-Watt gents...
As in Kilo = 1,000... As in 1,000 grams is a kilogram...

Gentleman... Or maybe Young Man... It's Kill-A-Watt Meter. Not Kilo... Kill as in 'Kill some Kilowatts'
Don't know what world you live in but: Kill-A-Watt meter is as much an accepted term as Selfie and much older for that matter. :-p

<Flaming removed - mod>

As an ELECTRICIAN from the UK I use KILOwatt as the term used for electric POWER... VOLTS TIMES AMPS EQUALS POWER! Duh...

So what you're talking about is just a trade name/nickname therefore KILOWATT is the ONLY WORD WE CAN USE WHEN WE'RE TALKING ABOUT POWER COMSUMPTION!

One born every 35 years....

This whole thread is about power CONSUMPTION RIGHT, NOT what certain companies call their product.

And just read what you've written... What you've explained there is that it is just a load that USES power, not measure.

<Flaming removed - mod>

And your background in electricity is....????

May the Pork be with you.
Destruction Del

Postby Destruction Del » Fri May 09, 2014 7:37 pm

will start clamping that post compressor before the radiator

Do you mean you'll measure the supply to the condenser, the blower, the bit inside the house...
Radiator??? Heat exchanger maybe...? I don't know what you really mean?

But anyway, if you were to measure the power drawn from the condenser it wouldn't tell you much, only what the fan and PCB are using that's all...

Stick the meter (and I mean a real meter, not some Micky Mouse thing you can buy at home pro), like an Amp clamp on the to the main unit (compressor).
If you want a more accurate reading that includes the power factors of the cable, stick it on the wire at the breaker.

I hope I haven't offended you again by giving you more knowledgeable information.

Destruction Del

Postby BKKBILL » Fri May 09, 2014 8:29 pm

Goodness me hope I'm not going the get chastised by an electrician/metallurgist here but it’s Friday and it won't be the first time so will put this up anyway.

The Kill A Watt (a pun on kilowatt)
P4400 Kill A Watt
This is the original, most basic version, based on the Prodigit 2000M.[6] From the time it is plugged in, it measures:[2]
Voltage (Volts)
Current (Amperes)
Power (Watts)
Energy Used (Kilowatt-hours)
Frequency (Hertz)
Apparent power (Volt-amperes)
Power factor
Elapsed time
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilowatt

Hope that's not too porky. :mrgreen:
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby Destruction Del » Fri May 09, 2014 9:32 pm

<Flame removed - mod>

Exactly... Like I said, its a trade name or a pun as you discovered on wiki... And they're inaccurate & a POS

We have the same view on test screwdrivers... You know... Those ones with the LED in the handle to make people think they're a sparky when actual it could kill you should the resistor break down an short... But you'd know all about that wouldn't you Bill...

Compare it to a certified wattmeter and I guarantee you won't get the same reading, so you've wasted your money there....

Especially if you bought the one pictured above,,, A 230-250vac @ 50Hz Micky Mouse gadget don't work very well on 200-220vac @ 60Hz, well it may look like it's working but the readings will be incorrect...
I thought the whole idea here was to get an accurate readings, not throw people off with mamby pamby gear like this...

I don't get what metallurgists and electricians have in common for you to class them as the same by separating them with an oblique?

<Flame removed - mod>

Destruction Del

Postby schuimpge » Fri May 09, 2014 11:58 pm

Oh my.. We got some real smarty here. Mr. Dell you're assuming to much and showing not enough....
It's nice that you try to show your understanding of the grand scheme of things, we really appreciate. But at the same time, I think you lost the plot a bit in assuming that we are all retired and lost or brain function somewhere in the 60-65 year bracket during a toilet break.
I'd also like to advise you to start reading from post one on threads and possibly the related threads to fully comprehend the things being discussed before making rather silly comments that would make you look.. well...silly
schuimpge

Postby Destruction Del » Sat May 10, 2014 1:09 am

<Flaming removed - mod>
I feel the need to voice my opinion to put people back on the right page when I see people like you posting nonsense about "simple" inaccurate devices like your beloved killawatt... Explain to me again what it means... You say it "kills" watts????
Being inappropriately named of course it doesn't use/kill watts, it just measures... Inaccurately.
So please tell me how you expect to get an accurate reading (because you're comparing readings on different days etc) from a inaccurate device?

How on earth can facts be put down to making myself look silly here,,,?
Facts that can save peoples lives... Or are you just pent up on the fact that I don't agree with your idea? You seem disgruntled about something...

Research everything I've written regarding electricity and you'll soon discover the facts again...and again.

I don't try, I DO, as simple as... Electricity is something you just don't "try" to get right...

NObody has mentioned age except you, so I don't know where you get that idea from? Must be the voices in your head ;)

<Flaming removed - mod>

Destruction Del

Postby Mike Judd » Sat May 10, 2014 6:49 am

Now Guys! As I believe to be the oldest (Not necessary the smartest or wises) on this forum , I believe you get no mileage by being Agro ! and exchanging Barbs on any subject. Far better to state your facts as you understand them and let the other fellow prove other wise.? Of course you could always jump over into "Friendly Banter" if a Slanging Match is what you are looking for.?
Mike Judd

Postby BKKBILL » Sat May 10, 2014 7:43 am

Destruction Del wrote:A wee bit sensitive aren't we Bill? "chastise"??? Grow up will you...

I thought the whole idea here was to get an accurate readings, not throw people off with mamby pamby gear like this...

NOTHING is TOO Porky for me Bill [PIG FACE][PIG FACE][PIG FACE]
Hope that's not too French for you [FROG FACE]

More like this do you mean, grow up indeed.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby Shastadad » Sat May 10, 2014 7:48 am

Destruction Del's hijack of the thread is typical of most of these open forums, not just CTH

Too lazy to read the whole thread but is the expert that is going to correct us. If he had bothered to read the entire thread before putting his foot in his mouth he would know that kill-a-watt was mentioned on page 4 by schuimpge who used it to check the demand on his A/C compressor, and followed by my post which showed a screen cap of the device with it's name clearly visible. What followed was a slight bend in the thread on where to obtain this type of " consumer" device here in Thailand which was ended when I posted where I was able to find one

Jumping into a thread without reading the whole thing is not only unproductive but down right rude and will wreck your credibility around here in a heart beat
Shastadad

Postby fredlk » Sat May 10, 2014 7:58 am

Shastadad wrote:Jumping into a thread without reading the whole thing is not only unproductive but down right rude and will wreck your credibility around here in a heart beat

Hear, hear!
fredlk

Postby schuimpge » Sat May 10, 2014 8:42 am

Shastadad wrote:Destruction Del's hijack of the thread is typical of most of these open forums, not just CTH

Too lazy to read the whole thread but is the expert that is going to correct us. If he had bothered to read the entire thread before putting his foot in his mouth he would know that kill-a-watt was mentioned on page 4 by schuimpge who used it to check the demand on his A/C compressor, and followed by my post which showed a screen cap of the device with it's name clearly visible. What followed was a slight bend in the thread on where to obtain this type of " consumer" device here in Thailand which was ended when I posted where I was able to find one

Jumping into a thread without reading the whole thing is not only unproductive but down right rude and will wreck your credibility around here in a heart beat

Like to add that Mr. Del seemingly also does not comprehend the function and use of a Kill-A-Watt meter.
It is clearly not a scientifically calibrated device intended to be used by professionals.
As Shastadad said, it's a consumer device that helps consumers realize how much power a certain consumer device draws and with that realization, consumers might be enticed into replacing an old device with a newer, more efficient device or change their behavior of using that device.

You could argue that it is a marketing gimmick that would push people to spend money on a new TV/Fridge or whatever else, but that's another discussion all together.

It's intended use however is completely legit and supported by pretty much every organization in the world that advocates Energy Savings to help people lower their utility bills and at the same time reduce the amount of resources we are using to generate that electricity.

If Mr. Dell would have read a bit more of this threads and some others, like Improving Aircon Efficiency, he would have gotten the complete story behind it, and with his obvious knowledge of electricity I'd sure would have looked forward to constructive input from his side.

But barging in on his high horse like this..nah..
schuimpge

Postby schuimpge » Sat May 10, 2014 8:47 am

fredlk wrote:
Shastadad wrote:Jumping into a thread without reading the whole thing is not only unproductive but down right rude and will wreck your credibility around here in a heart beat

Hear, hear!

Far as I have seen in any thread I follow on CTH, I've seen people jumping in half way a thread, but if they comment, it's always with a: "I did not read all yet, but..." or "how did you construct XYZ? Or did you mention it somewhere already?"..
That's where you never fail to get a reply and some pointers here on CTH, which is one of the reasons I really like it here..
schuimpge

Postby Destruction Del » Sat May 10, 2014 8:55 am

BKKBILL wrote:
Destruction Del wrote:A wee bit sensitive aren't we Bill? "chastise"??? Grow up will you...

NOTHING is TOO Porky for me Bill [PIG FACE][PIG FACE][PIG FACE]
Hope that's not too French for you [FROG FACE]

More like this do you mean, grow up indeed.

<flaming post removed - mod>

Destruction Del

Postby Destruction Del » Sat May 10, 2014 9:04 am

Shastadad wrote:Destruction Del's hijack of the thread is typical of most of these open forums, not just CTH

What's the title of the thread... Define it and THEN you may be able to understand why I'm trying to steer people away from this thing...

You can't compare readings from one day/week/month to another if the readings are wrong!! How many times!!!

If your jumping up and down on the Kill-a-watt / Kilowatt issue, you need to get a life.

Destruction Del

Postby pattayapope » Sat May 10, 2014 1:10 pm

Gents any more wise cracks will get a suspension, we are all grown up and this forum should need very little moderating if we all think before we post .
pattayapope

Previous

Return to electric