Electricity charges - A WARNING

Information on electric installation and anything related to electric.
Design, materials, sources & prices, for separate topics on:
- Wiring diagrams, regulations and standards
- materials, installation, connection.
- sources & prices
- hazards and trouble shooting
Before you post any questions, download Itchy's tutorials and search for an answer there.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope, Attila

Re: Electricity charges - A WARNING

Postby MGV12 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:58 am

thailazer wrote:For you folks using power sensors, aren't most of those units designed just for single phase? Wouldn't putting it on a 3 phase line sourcing more than one load show a lower reading than the actual total?

The three phases enter the load centre via a breaker and then, as mentioned in the preceding post, supply different parts of the building ... therefore the only time we lose power completely is when the whole area goes down; which is does from time to time! The power sensor can be connected to each phase in turn and can establish the actual draw of each application on that phase .... and also from the totals show how the electrician [who was quite good] has loaded each phase.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby MGV12 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:46 pm

Appears that RR and myself are the only ones affected by this ... :?:

I noticed the comment on the Solar Energy thread [ viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3332&start=285 ] about off-peak supply. We approached our PEA about that last year "No have" [why?] "No have ... anyway ... you have to buy the meter yourself and they are very expensive"

Update: Last three monthly bills have varied by over 600 Baht ... our usage is fairly constant ... no changes in equipment ... my own power usage monitor shows minimal variation. Go figure.

I continue to be unhappy about being charged a levy for off-peak [daytime] usage .... this month added 216Baht + tax. Via translation I was told that we use more during the day than most Thais as they are out at work ... so apparently we have to pay a premium to adjust to the commercial rate.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:57 pm

MGV12,
MGV12 wrote:our usage is fairly constant ... no changes in equipment

Ah, do not forget the "fuel tax levy" whatever they call it, decided by some obscure committee that never lowers it when oil price goes down, but always adjusts it upwards when it rises.... even though it has just been lowered by the oil suppliers. TIT.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:04 pm

I thought I might post my last two electric bills just to keep everything up to date: Last month was "freezing" so I had the 100 ltr hot water heater on about ten times during the month for a total cost of 3,127 baht. This month has been even worse than "freezing" so I just left it on the whole time with some trepidation. The bill arrived today for a total cost of 3,054 baht and that's with three people having 2 showers a day and the spa bath on about 4 times in that time. Compare this to the instant on ones and there's a heck of a difference.
Roger Ramjet

Postby vanda » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:47 pm

I had electrical issues back in early 2012 when I spent 6 months in Phuket. The first electric bill was over 5000b, which I initially though might include some sort of re-connection fee or extra charges because the rental hadn't been used in a while. After discussing it with a good thai friend who speaks english better than most people in my country, she informed me that there weren't any additional charges it was just a straight forward bill. I found it very odd as I don't even spend that much back here in Aus in a quarterly bill (3 months). I trialed it for the next month and switched power off at the mains, meter stopped running, and would leave it off every time I left the house. I barely spent time at the house as I was out at the bars and touring around enjoying myself and really only used the place to sleep. The next month bill came and once again over 5000b. I spoke to my mate who owned a bar and rented an apartment, he informed me that his bills were only around 2000-2500b per month including the bar and that was with his air-con running round the clock. I also found out that the landlord also owned other properties, which then lead me to believe that I was paying for a combined bill. Needless to say I rang the landlord and told her to send people out to inspect it as I don't spend that sort of money on electricity even in my country and that it's more likely the cost of half the homes in the area.
The same day someone was out to check and everything was ok according to them, however when the next months bill came in it was 2100b, less than half of what it was the previous 2 months. I think it's fair to say that we (farangs) get the raw end of the deal, but it pays to speak up about it.
vanda

Postby schuimpge » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:07 pm

RR. That's a hefty bill indeed. I guess i will stick with instant or go with a solar heater when renovating the bathroom
schuimpge

Postby schuimpge » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:10 pm

Flip-side of it.. The two cold spells my bills went down substantially from not using the aircon.
I am now at 2500 thb where it was 4800 before replacing the aircon and 3500 immediately after
schuimpge

Postby MGV12 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:05 pm

The electricity supply at our house is in my name ... I was 'single' at the time ... PEA responded 'Can't be done" "Impossible for farang to do" but after taking root in the chair for some time it happened. I very much doubt I am the only one. The downside is that I know and have proof [having monitored my consumption at the load centre] that 'they' are milking me; previous posts give some detail.

That's the way it is ... however ... when they take the piss too far I pay them a visit and enquire respectfully whether there is a problem with the meter, or wiring, or whatever. Nothing is changed but miraculously my bill reduces until ............... Groundhog Day comes around again.

Pointless shouting about it or causing a scene ... it's simply one endemic reality in the country I choose to live in.

MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:10 pm

I think people have misunderstood, the amount was for the whole bill, not just for hot water and with three air cons running and all the other spiffy things I think that's dirt cheap as I was paying over 5,000 a month at the townhouse and that didn't have a huge pump and only two air cons. I'm more than happy with that for a 450 sq mt house.
Roger Ramjet

Postby schuimpge » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:14 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:I think people have misunderstood, the amount was for the whole bill, not just for hot water and with three air cons running and all the other spiffy things I think that's dirt cheap as I was paying over 5,000 a month at the townhouse and that didn't have a huge pump and only two air cons. I'm more than happy with that for a 450 sq mt house.

Ah, yes indeed. I put a "Kill-a-Watt" meter on my compressor to check its usage. (Brand new Panasonic 18000 BTU, no inverter)
During the cool nights, the total electricity use is about 8 Baht... Go figure, for your 3 air-con compressors, you've been using 24 Baht during the night, x31 = 744 Baht for the month of December and the same you should get for January bill.

Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby Shastadad » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:23 pm

schuimpge how do you use a Kill-a-Watt meter on a compressor unit. All that I have found are the plug in types ?

Kill a wattt.png
Shastadad

Postby schuimpge » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:38 pm

Shastadad, yep, that's what I have also.
Plug in type... :mrgreen:

It requires a bit of work, but since I wanted to check the effectiveness of cooling the compressor with condense water from the head-unit, I had to.
So I disconnected the cable that comes from the head-unit at the side of the compressor and on that cable, I put a normal wall receptacle.
Then I put a new cable on the compressor with a normal plug.

After that it's of course easy, but to be complete: Plug the meter into the receptacle, then plug the compressor into the meter...done.
schuimpge

Postby schuimpge » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:06 pm

Bill came in yesterday... We're at 1950 this month..
About 850 Baht is for running my fish tanks, 1 air-con on 9000btu, 1 shower heater and then ceramic hob, washing machine, pump, light, fridge.
schuimpge

Postby Shastadad » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:16 am

schuimpge wrote:Shastadad, yep, that's what I have also.

It requires a bit of work, but since I wanted to check the effectiveness of cooling the compressor with condense water from the head-unit, I had to.
So I disconnected the cable that comes from the head-unit at the side of the compressor and on that cable, I put a normal wall receptacle.

After that it's of course easy, but to be complete: Plug the meter into the receptacle, then plug the compressor into the meter...done.

Thanks :D , one more question. Were you able to buy it here or did you have to import from Oz or England ?

I can only get 110-120V ones in the US !
Shastadad

Postby schuimpge » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:20 am

Shastadad wrote:
schuimpge wrote:Shastadad, yep, that's what I have also.

Thanks :D , one more question. Were you able to buy it here or did you have to import from Oz or England ?

I can only get 110-120V ones in the US !

I found mine here. Been thinking to get one for long time and it popped up in front of me doing some shopping for electric stuff.
HomePro has them. Can't remember the exact price. But it does all the normal stuff. Even calculates CO2 produced.
Just fill in your electricity p/kW and plug it in.
schuimpge

PreviousNext

Return to electric