Electricity charges - A WARNING

Information on electric installation and anything related to electric.
Design, materials, sources & prices, for separate topics on:
- Wiring diagrams, regulations and standards
- materials, installation, connection.
- sources & prices
- hazards and trouble shooting
Before you post any questions, download Itchy's tutorials and search for an answer there.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope, Attila

Electricity charges - A WARNING

Postby MGV12 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:35 am

Some months ago I noticed that our electricity bill was increasing each month. I had been using various pumps as I was establishing the best system for the Koi pond and so at first paid little attention. However, when the experimentation was over the bill still increased each month. Being occupied with many things it was only when it reached 3200Baht that the alarm bells rang loudly enough and we decided to pay the PEA a visit. We only have one air con and one TV, two fridges but not large ones - and a lot of low-consumption LED lighting. It just didn't sit right. I had also noticed that there were two amounts listed on the bill without explanation as to what they are.

The PEA people took the usual stance of saying we were just using more, meters rarely go wrong, faults in the wiring --- blah, blah, blah.

When I pointed out that on their website ... and indeed a brochure on display at their own counter .... the maximum per unit I should be charged was 2.9 something Baht and yet I was being charged much more it all went quiet and the guy went off to 'investigate'; probably in the Hong Nam. Upon his return he said "oh yes, that's the government charge" we only charge 3 Baht [rounded up] but they apply a 2 Baht surcharge for fuel and other things. Which probably includes the cost of letting 'poor' people off paying if their bill is less than 300 Baht a month. Okay but checking back on the bills the double price was happening long before my bills started to increase for no apparent reason. "Okay, we'll come out and check the meter".

Week or two later a team arrived. Checked the meter and [of course] it was 100% accurate - even though the test they employed was merely to turn everything off and see if it stopped; which I had already done but of course we farang aren't clever enough to think of such things! "Maybe you have a wiring or appliance problem, or are simply using more than you think you are"

Great ... very informative. We decided as an experiment to not do anything more and just wait and see if anything changed. Our limited air con use didn't change and we didn't modify our lifestyle at all.

The next bill came in and instead of 3200 Baht it was 2200 Baht
The following month's bill has just arrived and it's 1700 Baht ... which is still a little too high but getting there

Very easy to understand what was going on to us ...................................

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Re: Electricity charges - A WARNING

Postby otis-a » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:41 pm

ummmmmmmmm
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Postby MGV12 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:32 am

otis-a wrote:ummmmmmmmm

Makes ya think huh? :x

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:56 am

MGV12,
Thank you for the head's up and it does make you think. When we had off-peak electricity installed our monthly bill was 3,200. Since then it has fluctuated from 2,800 to 3,100, but in the last 12 months it suddenly jumped to between 4,100 to 4,400. My wife did check but each time she was told it was caused by the fuel "levy" imposed by the government. We have two air conditioners and the rest is pretty standard fare. Each new item I've bought I've always checked the next month's bill to see if there has been a drastic change, but nothing. I also thought during the cooler months when we used the shower heater, the bill would have been higher, but no, just about the same.
At one stage I checked the new bill with the previous bill, but gave up because it was a lost cause with the "fuel" levy that fluctuated upwards each new bill, even though the price of fuel came down.
I wrote it off as paying for the poor man's bill, now I am wondering if I'm not paying for 5 or 6 poor man's bills.
We are running a welder and sundry other large consuming items out at the build including an old fridge and my hot/cold water cooler, yet the bill is way under 1,000 baht even with the welder running flat out 8 hours a day.
It's an interesting problem, I'll follow-up on it when time permits.
Roger Ramjet

Postby geordie » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:18 am

This is a new liberty being taken by thai standards even-- charge the farrang extra for electricity? :( :(

What next go to tesco lotus and find the thai prices for food differ from the farrang

Spain is starting to look not only interesting but more affordable due to unseen taxation (for want of a better word)
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby pattayapope » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:46 am

I looked at my last 4 monthly bills and with VAT added the unit cost is 3.9 to 4 baht and I use between 820 and 960 units a month which seems to be in line with what I think is the domestic rate per unit, out of interest how does the units consumed compare to the monthly bills of other members as a per unit cost.
pattayapope

Postby fredlk » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:40 am

pattayapope wrote:how does the units consumed compare to the monthly bills of other members as a per unit cost

in Bangkok I used on average 700 units per month.
fredlk

Postby pattayapope » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:57 pm

Fred

So what was the bill devided by the units consumed to give the unit rate?
pattayapope

Postby fredlk » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:34 pm

pattayapope wrote:So what was the bill devided by the units consumed to give the unit rate?

The bill had the units consumed and I know that the price including vat was 3.961 Baht per unit. All I got was a total and some Thai writing. :?
fredlk

Postby pattayapope » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:32 pm

I think to be fare we need to understand how many units were used to compare the electric bill, in Singapore when I was there they only read the meter once every three months and estimate the bills inbetween (in their favour ofcourse) but at my place the guy comes with a little computer and inputs the meter reading and it prints the bill at the same time, I guess other CTH members get the same bill. Old or dirty aircons can be the main culprit of higher bills and the water heaters for tea or coffee that are on 24/7 also consume a fair amount of power.
pattayapope

Postby Nawty » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:30 pm

Down on the farm we had an increasing bill.....when we were building I put it down to tools and workers etc.....but then building stopped and it kept going.

Keep in mind the farm has an old couple living on it all the time, no aircon and no luxuries, no hot water etc.

It went from around 300b a month to over 3000b a month over an 6 or 8 month period.....same thing, electric company checked it and all was fine at the meter, nobody was stealing it.

We got a sparky to come and check and seems it was 'leaking' into the ground somewhere in a ruptured underground pipe....never got tingles when I walked over it barefoot......fixed it and it got back to circa 300b a month and has stayed there since.
conwood is not real wood.....break it down 'con' to deceive...'wood'
Nawty

Update

Postby MGV12 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:43 am

Our bill at the time we took our concerns to the PEA was 3200 Baht

The next one, as reported, had dropped to 2200 Baht

The third [last month] was down to 1700 Baht

Be interesting to see what the next one will be.

To confirm: no significant changes in lifestyle/appliance usage. No changes to the wiring circuitry.

MGV12

Postby geordie » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:41 pm

Its seriously starting to sound like a farrang surcharge is being enforced

Does this mean you no longer have to look at more econamical pumps for the pond ?
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby MGV12 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:47 pm

geordie wrote:Its seriously starting to sound like a farrang surcharge is being enforced

Does this mean you no longer have to look at more econamical pumps for the pond ?

Always looking but not finding so far .... anything 'different' here costs extra and so defeats the potential of reduced running costs.

I'll be popping back in a month or so and will see if I can find anything worthwhile over there.

MGV12

Re: Update

Postby MGV12 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:45 am

MGV12 wrote:Our bill at the time we took our concerns to the PEA was 3200 Baht

The next one, as reported, had dropped to 2200 Baht

The third [last month] was down to 1700 Baht

Be interesting to see what the next one will be.

To confirm: no significant changes in lifestyle/appliance usage. No changes to the wiring circuitry.

This month's bill has just arrived and serves to put aside any doubt whatsoever: 1653 Baht

No changes whatsoever at our end .. in fact our minimal use of air con may well be slightly more than last month

Makes me feel sad - :( - but has the positive aspect of keeping me 'on my toes'.

MGV12

Next

Return to electric