Electrical Tutorials -Safe Electricity Without a Ground

Information on electric installation and anything related to electric.
Design, materials, sources & prices, for separate topics on:
- Wiring diagrams, regulations and standards
- materials, installation, connection.
- sources & prices
- hazards and trouble shooting
Before you post any questions, download Itchy's tutorials and search for an answer there.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope, Attila

Re: Electrical Tutorials -Safe Electricity Without a Ground

Postby John » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:54 pm

cooked wrote:ummm... judging by the naivety of my question, did you think that this would be of any help? Qualified electricians always do this. Anybody that understands the diagram won't need it.
Maybe a slightly rude response, sorry.

Actually I was not replying to your question but instead offering an explanation as to why why a ground is required for most desktop PC’s.
See the quote above my post, its quite clearly visible.

What qualified electricians and understanding the diagram has to do with it beats me.
John

Postby cooked » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:25 pm

I don't wish to be rude. I asked if I should earth my computer and am confronted with something that is only understandable to another electrician. I am sure that 99% of people on this forum don't understand / can't do anything with it either.
Dolt: a dull or foolish fellow
cooked

Postby John » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:04 pm

cooked wrote:I don't wish to be rude. I asked if I should earth my computer and am confronted with something that is only understandable to another electrician. I am sure that 99% of people on this forum don't understand / can't do anything with it either.

Ok, now you know its important to ground your computer doesn't matter if you don't understand the technical explanation.

On my desk is a structural engineering drawing that explains why a support beam is not large enough. I don't really understand the architects calculation but I'm sure someone down the chain will appreciate him including it.
John

Postby Ians » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:32 pm

cooked; Think you might have jumped the gun a bit, initially you were told that it was probably a computer fault and the safety-cut should have tripped. I disagreed with this, simply saying that computers are inherently leaky as far as giving you a few tingles. You were advised this is correct and given an explanation as to why and why the safety-cut didn't activate ( not sufficient current difference to trip it) and think it was clearly implied that you should earth the computer, this can be done as a single item.

Further, I always believe that a full and correct explanation should always be given wherever / whenever possible as others may well benefit from a posting of this nature.
Ians

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:24 pm

I am addressing this to no one in particular, but, logically if you ground your computer without going through your power board you will be creating an earth through the computer. You will also be earthing every other unit on that circuit. Any overload from any other unit on that circuit (IE the failed power point) will fry your computer before it trips the RCBO, which is what you have on your circuit board. There is a lot of difference between an RCBO and ELCB as they do different things: http://electrical-engineering-portal.co ... b-and-rccb one measures earth leakage the other residual current.
Roger Ramjet

Postby YsahdLsjd » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:29 pm

<Spam post removed - mod>
YsahdLsjd

Previous

Return to electric