LED light bulbs

Information on electric installation and anything related to electric.
Design, materials, sources & prices, for separate topics on:
- Wiring diagrams, regulations and standards
- materials, installation, connection.
- sources & prices
- hazards and trouble shooting
Before you post any questions, download Itchy's tutorials and search for an answer there.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope, Attila

Re: LED light bulbs

Postby MGV12 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:31 pm

An Australian opinion ... when those who post on the Internet are obliged to date said post will be a day worth celebrating!!!

http://www.caradvice.com.au/278125/head ... d-v-laser/

High-end cars only? I don't think so:

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/egdh45ld ... eadlights/

At its price threshold I wouldn't suggest the BMW i8 to be an example of where BMW stand on headlight technology for their production range ....

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:48 pm

MGV12 wrote:An Australian opinion ... when those who post on the Internet are obliged to date said post will be a day worth celebrating!!!

I totally agree: http://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/17 ... ta-corolla $700+ ....you have got to be kidding.
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:21 pm

LED headlights certainly not high-end-only .... you can even convert existing cars by swopping out your Halogens:

LED.jpg
LED.jpg (7.12 KiB) Viewed 829 times

http://www.amazon.com/New-Brights-LED-H ... B00HFK2R8G

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby fredlk » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:37 pm

fredlk wrote:
Roger Ramjet wrote:If LED was an alternative where are the ............... car headlights

Audi, BMW, Mini, Mazda Mx-5, Mercedes, Volvo, Cadillac ....

And now "Ford puts LED headlights onto Mondeo."

Anybody want to eat their hat?
fredlk

Postby MGV12 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:39 pm

fredlk wrote:
fredlk wrote:
Roger Ramjet wrote:If LED was an alternative where are the ............... car headlights

Audi, BMW, Mini, Mazda Mx-5, Mercedes, Volvo, Cadillac ....

And now "Ford puts LED headlights onto Mondeo."

Anybody want to eat their hat?

Ford-Mondeo-0.jpg

http://www.carscoops.com/2014/08/not-so ... e-led.html

Go festive and make that an LED hat ... unlike CFLs there is no Mercury in LEDs and so not as toxic a proposition as some 'foods'!

LED hat.jpg
LED hat.jpg (9.45 KiB) Viewed 822 times

MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:36 pm

MGV12 wrote:Go festive and make that an LED hat ... unlike CFLs there is no Mercury in LEDs and so not as toxic a proposition as some 'foods'!

Sigh, I sometimes wonder why I try.
Once again, cost, cost and more cost being passed on to the unwary. Now insurance will go up to cover the cost of replacing the LED lights in a front end colision or failure. $700+ for the replacement LED for the Toyota Corolla will/would put me off buying it. Fancy walking into your auto parts shop and being asked for $700 for a light globe, it would send most handymen into terminal shock.
MGV12 wrote:LED headlights certainly not high-end-only .... you can even convert existing cars by swopping out your Halogens:

Come on MGV12, I can do that too with any car that has an old sealed beam in it and I mean a really old sealed....no I don't, I mean pre sealed beam days. I've had numerous sealed beams and spotlights over the years and none have been almost orange in colour, they have always been off white because bright white has been banned in Australia. See, again you didn't read the undated article I posted at the start. Please pay attention MGV12 or you'll fail this course about cost.
I can see it now, some old bloke with a forty year old car worth $500 driving his mate around in the outback and his mate says, "hey Nigel, nice LED lights, what did they cost"? And Nigel replies, "Oh, they were $1,000 each". And when the car breaks down a few miles further Nigel and his mate take the LED's out of the car and burn it. Again, cost, MGV12, cost.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:27 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:Come on MGV12, I can do that too with any car that has an old sealed beam in it and I mean a really old sealed....no I don't, I mean pre sealed beam days. I've had numerous sealed beams and spotlights over the years and none have been almost orange in colour, they have always been off white because bright white has been banned in Australia. See, again you didn't read the undated article I posted at the start. Please pay attention MGV12 or you'll fail this course about cost.
I can see it now, some old bloke with a forty year old car worth $500 driving his mate around in the outback and his mate says, "hey Nigel, nice LED lights, what did they cost"? And Nigel replies, "Oh, they were $1,000 each". And when the car breaks down a few miles further Nigel and his mate take the LED's out of the car and burn it. Again, cost, MGV12, cost.

Come on Roger Ramjet your rabid anti LED stance stopped you checking that replacement LED headlight bulbs are $100 not $1,000 per set. :roll: :wink:
Sometimewoodworker

Postby MGV12 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:36 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:
MGV12 wrote:Go festive and make that an LED hat ... unlike CFLs there is no Mercury in LEDs and so not as toxic a proposition as some 'foods'!

Sigh, I sometimes wonder why I try.
Once again, cost, cost and more cost being passed on to the unwary. Now insurance will go up to cover the cost of replacing the LED lights in a front end colision or failure. $700+ for the replacement LED for the Toyota Corolla will/would put me off buying it. Fancy walking into your auto parts shop and being asked for $700 for a light globe, it would send most handymen into terminal shock.
MGV12 wrote:LED headlights certainly not high-end-only .... you can even convert existing cars by swopping out your Halogens:

Come on MGV12, I can do that too with any car that has an old sealed beam in it and I mean a really old sealed....no I don't, I mean pre sealed beam days. I've had numerous sealed beams and spotlights over the years and none have been almost orange in colour, they have always been off white because bright white has been banned in Australia. See, again you didn't read the undated article I posted at the start. Please pay attention MGV12 or you'll fail this course about cost.

I also wonder sometimes wonder why you try ... but I am glad that you do :)

The windup.JPG
The windup.JPG (9.76 KiB) Viewed 812 times

MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:30 pm

MGV12 wrote:Come on Roger Ramjet your rabid anti LED stance stopped you checking that replacement LED headlight bulbs are $100 not $1,000 per set.

Are they just? I posted this earlier:
Roger Ramjet wrote:I totally agree: http://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/17 ... ta-corolla $700+ ....you have got to be kidding.

Seven hundred dollars for the replacement for the Toyota Corolla is what was quoted from the dealer. I would hate to see what the rest cost. I didn't raise the Toyota Corolla into the equation. I raised the cost.
I've spent a lot of money on LED lights and spotlights and they never seem to live up to their cost. But that could be down to me not knowing how to plug them in correctly. :D :D
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:54 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:
MGV12 wrote:Come on Roger Ramjet your rabid anti LED stance stopped you checking that replacement LED headlight bulbs are $100 not $1,000 per set.

Sometimewoodworker wrote:Come on Roger Ramjet your rabid anti LED stance stopped you checking that replacement LED headlight bulbs are $100 not $1,000 per set. :roll: :wink:

I would be obliged if you would refrain from quoting posts under my name that were made by others; not for the first time:

MGV12

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:45 pm

Add on options are where the biggest profit is. So using the price from a car maker is a bad example.

image.jpg
$100 LED replacement bulbs Amazon
Sometimewoodworker

Postby BKKBILL » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:58 pm

Seems like just yesterday. :mrgreen: Top of the line in headlights.
Attachments
kerosine-lamp-headlights.jpg
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:59 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:Add on options are where the biggest profit is. So using the price from a car maker is a bad example.

So is posting for a 2005 Toyota Highlander when we were talking about the new Toyota Corolla which requires the whole assembly be replaced.
MGV12 wrote:I would be obliged if you would refrain from quoting posts under my name that were made by others; not for the first time:

I apologise again MGV12, I was just cutting and pasting and as everyone seems to want to quote others quotes I got tangled in that vicious web. It still doesn't make them a viable concern price wise and with BMW using laser technology (experimentally) what of the future?
BKKBILL wrote:Seems like just yesterday. Top of the line in headlights.

Bill,
That's a nice way to brighten up the subject. A lot more compact than LED's too.
Roger Ramjet

Postby fredlk » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:08 am

I repeat for the umpteenth time:

My 120 Baht LED's bought at Homeworks and Numchai are fantastic, cheap and have worked perfectly for the past three and a half years.
They are cool to the touch and do not heat up the air like the other prehistoric types of light-bulb.
Anyone who wants to dispute that is an idiot.
fredlk

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:56 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:
Sometimewoodworker wrote:Add on options are where the biggest profit is. So using the price from a car maker is a bad example.

So is posting for a 2005 Toyota Highlander when we were talking about the new Toyota Corolla which requires the whole assembly be replaced.

Sorry wriggling round trying to make believe that we are limited to one make and model doesn't work. Especially when it is your own example we are talking about. :lol: :x

Otherwise sit just a complaint about Toyota prices.
Roger Ramjet wrote:I can see it now, some old bloke with a forty year old car worth $500 driving his mate around in the outback and his mate says, "hey Nigel, nice LED lights, what did they cost"? And Nigel replies, "Oh, they were $1,000 each". And when the car breaks down a few miles further Nigel and his mate take the LED's out of the car and burn it.

Hoist with your own petard.
Sometimewoodworker

Previous

Return to electric