Water softener

Anything to do with the subject of water or plumbing. Any type of well (hand dug wells, drilled wells, etc.), plumbing (but not swimming pools) or any other discussion related to water.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Water softener

Postby gliffaes » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:55 pm

Long time no see as they say, I want to add a water softener to my water system, deep well 55metres photo attached, well goes into pressure tank then 100 metres underground to the two houses water has 640mg/l hardness thats 37Grains (VERY HARD) had it tested, its clean no iron or anything else just hard its extremely low turbidity so doesnt need filtering at all and NO other problems.

First question can you get the Automatic softeners here which measure how much water you use then do all the work for you or one that tests the hardness and adds the salt automatically using only exactly whats needed? such as these from whirlpool https://www.lowes.com/pd/Whirlpool-Pro- ... er/3345284

As its so hard what exactly size wise should I get? 640mg/l is 37 grains hardness and the reason for the model like the whirlpool is that generally theres only me here but that can vary by 2-3 on occassions, also how much salt is this beast gonna use, will I be filling the thing weekly?
Recommendations? websites etc, asked one company and sent them the water test and my set up and they said my Softener isnt one of their models!! they were looking at my WATER Pressure Tank!!! sheesh , gave them a wide berth
Attachments
20161122_092411.thumb.jpg.a377f466557fbcbbe8d33d3742eaba59.jpg
gliffaes

Re: Water softener

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:35 am

Gliffaes,
Salt is not your problem, I went to a wedding in the mountains one time and we passed small stalls by the side of the road selling bagfuls/sacks of the stuff for peanuts. I'll ask my wife where it was as she said it was famous, at the time. There were cars pulling over everywhere and they had acres and acres of flats they were using to dry the salt out.
Roger Ramjet

Postby gliffaes » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:49 pm

No problem with salt RR, I m looking at this one from GE but its expensive but fully automatic 48k baht can get salt on the way down to Hua
Hin close to Samut Prakarn they evaporate it close by
http://www.avantapuresystems.com/produc ... /#benefits
gliffaes

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:48 am

gliffaes wrote: I m looking at this one from GE but its expensive but fully automatic

Looks like it will do the trick and GE shouldn't (note shouldn't) get the sciences wrong and make it into battery water, you need some minerals left in it at the end. Good luck.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Klondyke » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:25 pm

If you ask in a chemical shop they will advise a "resin" that is added to the top of your pressure vessel sand filter - in case you have got one. Then, they will speak about a necessity of a frequent regeneration, later on a regular replacement.

Beside any softening procedure rainwater can be used for blending the source water, thus reducing the water hardness. The rainwater should be collected in a separate tank. After settlement of the dirt flushed from roof to the tank bottom (1 - 2 days) you will get a clean water that can be timely added (by a small pump or by gravitation if possible) to storage tank - once you have got one.

In case the pH is more than 8 an addition of HCL (into storage tank) can be considered what will also contribute to a lowering of water hardness.
Klondyke

Return to water and plumbing