CONGRATULATIONS on the new look

Announcements and forum news!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, Sometimewoodworker

jazzman

CONGRATULATIONS on the new look

Post by jazzman »

Congratulations Dozer, on the successful upgrade to phpBB3!

I know how much time and hard work you put into this because I've been trying to do exactly the same upgrade and Coppermine bridge on one of my sites :D
chiangmaiexpat

Re: CONGRATULATIONS on the new look

Post by chiangmaiexpat »

Very smooth transition, dozer! phpBB 3 looks smart!

Cheers, CMX
tung

Post by tung »

Yes much better look and feel.

Nice Work!
dozer
Site Admin

Post by dozer »

Thanks all. Glad you like the new look. phpBB 3.0 is a vast improvement over phpBB 2.0 in functionality. I'll be trying to leave the look near the default with just a couple of tweaks to make upgrading easier.
I know how much time and hard work you put into this because I've been trying to do exactly the same upgrade and Coppermine bridge on one of my sites
Yes, in theory all of these open source software programs are plug and play, but theory and reality are two different things!
jazzman

Forum software

Post by jazzman »

By virtue of the fact that hundreds - if not thousands - of developers work on the projects, OS software is usually better and more stable that a lot of very expensive proprietary applications. The downside is that the developers tend to forget that not all users are geeks and often provide inadequate instructions. Thus users may not find the installation and the CP as intuitive as they had hoped. In contrast, OS software is usually supported by excellent help forums. Manuals for proprietary softaware are written from a user point of view by salaried technical authors.

I would heartily recommend the free phpBB for anyone starting a forum for the first time, although it may lack some of the features of it major competitor, vBulletin which costs $180 (still cheap) and $60 a year for updates.

Is this information inappropriate for a CTH forum?
No, because I know many CTH members who run forums or are thinking of doing so :D